Trellis ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry friend....user friendly trellis is hypothetical. How many hops are you wanting to grow would help narrow down what you are looking for.

I built one with 3 inch pvc....in a big H kind of pattern and brace them with 2 inch cross members to keep them separated. I pinned all the major connection point so I could take it down also. I use eye bolts for the stringers to be able to run through for stringing coir up to, and a couple more eye bolts to use as anchor points. It stands at 12.5 feet tall, and is 10 feet long. I will be making it 17.5 tall for this coming year.

Back when I had property to try growing hops on, I came up with this: I drove some 6 ft iron fence posts (T-profile) 2 ft into the ground, leaving 4 ft exposed. I then took some 10ft lengths of galvanized electrical conduit, and, overlapping by a foot or so, strapped one onto the top of each fence post using a couple of hose clamps. At the top of each length of conduit I had a couple of cross pieces of threaded rod run through and locked in place with nuts, to which the twines could be tied. These ran at an angle down to the hills, and were clipped down with tent pegs. Had several of these arrangements. To harvest, the hose clamps could be loosened and the poles (13 ft straight up to the top, longer twines considering the angle) could be lowered and laid down. Then re-erected to let the plants build up resources for wintering over, and just cut them when they finally turned brown.

An idiosyncratic approach I'll admit, as it was entirely improvised utilizing junk I found lying in the barn. But elements of it might be adaptable, and if you don't have Japanese beetles stripping the bines every year just as the burrs are being put out, you might have better luck than I ever did.

This T-Post/U-Post combo has served me well for many years. I'll take some actual closeup pics of the trellis later. Costs about $20 all-in.

1 x 6ft T-Post
- Consider this an 'anchor post' that will stay in ground year-round
2 x 7ft U-Post - Use two short bolts to overlap/connect them through their pre-drilled holes. This ends up being 12ft or so

1. Prepare soil
2. Pound the T-Post into the ground w/ a post driver or sledge hammer to at least 15-18" depth
3. Connect the two sections of the U-Post. Two nuts and a washer per bolt works great. Rig up whatever clip/carabiner/pulley you want and twine to the top of the trellis. Give yourself enough twine slack to adjust once the post is up.
4. Align the inner "U-Part" of the U-Post so it surrounds the T-Post. On the side of the T-Post that is flat, not the notched side.
5. Push the U-Post into the ground as far as possible. Make sure it is snug against the T-Post. If soil is loose you should reach it's anchor plate
6. Lash the U-Post to the T-Post with lots of bailing twine, galvanized cable, etc. Twine works fine for me.
7. After the growing season, cut the plant and remove the U-Post. It pulls up easily. The last pics show yours truly carrying the hops trellis and laying it across two saw horses for picking.

The only way a pulley/carabiner system works with this method is if the root crown is a few feet away from the vertical post. Any closer and the plant inevitably will wrap around the twine and post. My posts are right by the root crown, but I harvest/cut all at once.

T Post.JPG
U Post.JPG
Trellis2.JPG
H Trellis.JPG

Back