Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used Conan, dennys fav 50, 1318 and I like 1318. It's finicky but with the right mash temp and ferm temps it attenuated well and I like the body and fruity flavor it adds better than the only-52 Conan strain I was using. I have some wlp007 I'd like to try plus those imperial yeasts look nice too. But for now if I make a neipa 1318 is my go to otherwise I like the only-52 Conan strain for lower abc apas and IPAs where I want less yeast presence and a drier beer, not 05 dry but in between.

Hi All-

Curious what a "general" mash temp falls into for these IPAs with lots of late hop additions. I have seen quite a few posts with mash temps 150-152 degrees, wouldn't that create quite a dry finish? I just finished up a brew, been conditioning in the keg a week, and its noticeably dry after a mash of 151.5 roughly. The nose is amazing and solid mouth feel. It is just somewhat dry, lacking some depth.

My grain bill was pretty standard
70% 2 Row
10% White Wheat
8% Flaked Oats
6% Crystal 20
6% Carapils

1 oz hopshot at boil
1 oz citra, amarillo and mosiac at flameout, rest all dry hops.

WLP001, fermented @ 66 for most of the 16-17 days in ferm, only used primary. Hops mostly amarillo, citra and little bit of mosiac.

Finished up @ 1.011, my efficiency was not great though. Water profile is RO, with some extremely minor additions per EZ water.

Any suggestions on anything obvious I might have missed?

Hi All-

Curious what a "general" mash temp falls into for these IPAs with lots of late hop additions. I have seen quite a few posts with mash temps 150-152 degrees, wouldn't that create quite a dry finish? I just finished up a brew, been conditioning in the keg a week, and its noticeably dry after a mash of 151.5 roughly. The nose is amazing and solid mouth feel. It is just somewhat dry, lacking some depth.

70% 2 Row
10% White Wheat
8% Flaked Oats
6% Crystal 20
6% Carapils

1 oz hopshot at boil

WLP001, fermented @ 66 for most of the 16-17 days in ferm, only used primary. Hops mostly amarillo, citra and little bit of mosiac.

Finished up @ 1.011, my efficiency was not great though. Water profile is RO, with some extremely minor additions per EZ water.

While I have used WLP001 on this style, I think your choice of one of the driest, most attenuative beer yeasts on the market may have something to do with it. I like WLP007, others like Conan or 1318.
Also, I always include (and recommend) around 20% Vienna in place of some of the Pale malt. It really adds some complexity of flavor and some malty backbone to an otherwise fairly boring grist.

Hi All-

70% 2 Row
10% White Wheat
8% Flaked Oats
6% Crystal 20
6% Carapils

1 oz hopshot at boil

I'd recommend dropping the crystal. I've messed with a few grain combos, and I find that crystal gets in the way of letting the hops/"juice" shine.

This is what I have settled on and am pretty happy with.

Golden Promise 38.2%
Pale Malt 2 row 38.2%
Oats 18.3%
Cara-pills 2.8%
Acid Malt 2.4%

While I have used WLP001 on this style, I think your choice of one of the driest, most attenuative beer yeasts on the market may have something to do with it. I like WLP007, others like Conan or 1318.
Also, I always include (and recommend) around 20% Vienna in place of some of the Pale malt. It really adds some complexity of flavor and some malty backbone to an otherwise fairly boring grist.

your malt seems fine to me. try a different yeast, drop the bittering down, add fewer dry hops and more kettle flavor hops/hopstand hops, add only calcium chloride. all of those things should get you the perception of a less dry beer. i mash at 165F frequently and like the results.

your malt seems fine to me. try a different yeast, drop the bittering down, add fewer dry hops and more kettle flavor hops/hopstand hops, add only calcium chloride. all of those things should get you the perception of a less dry beer. i mash at 165F frequently and like the results.

Wow.. 165 mash temp?

And good results you say? I've never heard of mash temps that high.

Wow.. 165 mash temp?

And good results you say? I've never heard of mash temps that high.

Yeah, modern malt must be loaded with beta amylase. as an example, a recent NEIPA I did had 90% GW 2-row and 10% GW C15 at 165F with a mashout. Fermented with WY1318, I still got around 75%AA going from 1.067 to 1.016. If I had mashed at 150ish, it would have probably gone over 85%AA and been at least 1%ABV higher. I don't notice any "sweetness" from doing this. I'd like to do a side by side of that some day as well - mash one at 150 and one at 165 and see if I can tell a difference flavor-wise.

Yeah, modern malt must be loaded with beta amylase. as an example, a recent NEIPA I did had 90% GW 2-row and 10% GW C15 at 165F with a mashout. Fermented with WY1318, I still got around 75%AA going from 1.067 to 1.016. If I had mashed at 150ish, it would have probably gone over 85%AA and been at least 1%ABV higher. I don't notice any "sweetness" from doing this. I'd like to do a side by side of that some day as well - mash one at 150 and one at 165 and see if I can tell a difference flavor-wise.

Interesting stuff.

So it looks like brulosophy must have done something similar with 147°F and 161°F.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/12/the-mash-high-vs-low-temperature-exbeeriment-results/

Trying out a couple different yeast strains this weekend; S-04 and 1318 on a not so julius clone but curious on any feedback before I brew. Going for a "milkshake" style without the lactose.

2-Row 33%
Golden Promise 33%
Flaked Wheat 13%
Flaked Oats 13%
Acid Malt 2%
Oat Flour 5%
Honey Malt 2%

Hops:
CTZ .5 oz @ 60
Columbus 1 oz @ whirlpool
Simcoe 2 oz @ whirlpool
Galaxy 2 oz @ whirlpool
Dry hop:
Amarillo 2 oz @ day 7
Galaxy 4 oz @ day 7

Split batches. One on 1318 and the other on S-04. Pitch @ 80F (http://scottjanish.com/esters-and-fusel-alcohols/) naturally cooled to ferment at ambient 64F for a week, raise to 70F for 2-3 days. Mainly wanting to see how the 2 diff yeasts perform with the same recipe.

you'll probably want to add either fruit, lactose or vanilla bean (or some combination of them) to get a milkshake IPA. your recipe will probably be good, but not of the shake variety

Thanks a bunch for your response, what did the SRM end up coming out to with no crystal?

I'd recommend dropping the crystal. I've messed with a few grain combos, and I find that crystal gets in the way of letting the hops/"juice" shine.

This is what I have settled on and am pretty happy with.

Golden Promise 38.2%
Pale Malt 2 row 38.2%
Oats 18.3%
Cara-pills 2.8%
Acid Malt 2.4%

Trying out a couple different yeast strains this weekend; S-04 and 1318 on a not so julius clone but curious on any feedback before I brew. Going for a "milkshake" style without the lactose.

2-Row 33%
Golden Promise 33%
Flaked Wheat 13%
Flaked Oats 13%
Acid Malt 2%
Oat Flour 5%
Honey Malt 2%

Hops:
CTZ .5 oz @ 60
Columbus 1 oz @ whirlpool
Simcoe 2 oz @ whirlpool
Galaxy 2 oz @ whirlpool
Dry hop:
Amarillo 2 oz @ day 7
Galaxy 4 oz @ day 7

Split batches. One on 1318 and the other on S-04. Pitch @ 80F (http://scottjanish.com/esters-and-fusel-alcohols/) naturally cooled to ferment at ambient 64F for a week, raise to 70F for 2-3 days. Mainly wanting to see how the 2 diff yeasts perform with the same recipe.

Check out this blog post for some nice commentary on milkshake NE IPAs: https://meekbrewingco.blogspot.com/2017/02/orange-creamsicle-ipa-my-first-attempt.html

Check out this blog post for some nice commentary on milkshake NE IPAs: https://meekbrewingco.blogspot.com/2017/02/orange-creamsicle-ipa-my-first-attempt.html

what a weird beer style, milkshake IPA!!! Does anyone on this thread have some experience brewing this? I was thinking of trying an NE IPA version of the Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone as a milkshake NE IPA for fun:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470557

I thought maybe a bigger Citra addition with some Mosaic and then some kind of fruit would be good.

what a weird beer style, milkshake IPA!!! Does anyone on this thread have some experience brewing this? I was thinking of trying an NE IPA version of the Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone as a milkshake NE IPA for fun:

I thought maybe a bigger Citra addition with some Mosaic and then some kind of fruit would be good.

check this one out: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/03/milkshake-ipa-mango-vanilla-hopsicle.html

mango is a great fruit for hoppy beers - especially with citra btw.
maybe 4-6 oz of lactose should be enough, and plenty of mango.
1 vanilla bean.

I have a mango milkshake NE DIPA that I'm going to brew next month, pretty much the same grainbill as a regular NE DIPA plus 1lb Lactose in the boil. Then add the fruit during late stage primary (biotransformation haha!) and vanilla bean tincture in the keg. I'm using Citra/Galaxy/El Dorado for hops, and I think any of the modern "juicy" class of hops would play great with your choice fruit addition. I'm looking at a Belma/Mosaic/Strawberry combo in the future too.

My two cents... don't drop out the crystal malts entirely. Makes for a hop water beer which is no good. Even cutting it off at 4% is fine but you need some sweetness to back that tropical quality of the hops. I personally feel that the "juicy" tropical vibe is a dual contribution from malt and hops which people falsely attribute to hops alone. I see you have honey malt in the recipe which I love. I've had better results adding that juiciness by using honey malt than about 5-6 other crystal malts I've experimented with between 15L-40L. Just something about it I love

Second... you're up to 26% flaked adjuncts with the wheat and oats combined. If I were you I'd cut the flaked oats back to like 8-10%, use malted wheat instead of flaked wheat as the remainder of that 26%

check this one out: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/03/milkshake-ipa-mango-vanilla-hopsicle.html

mango is a great fruit for hoppy beers - especially with citra btw.
maybe 4-6 oz of lactose should be enough, and plenty of mango.
1 vanilla bean.

I just tried brewing a milkshake IPA for the first time recently (with mango) . I used 6.5% lactose in my brain bill, and in my opinion it wasn't quite enough.

I guess it also depends on what your definition of a milkshake IPA is. I've had the tired hands double mango milkshake, and it is by no means subtle. Very intense mango, very sweet from the lactose and vanilla and also relatively hoppy.

My next batch I'm upping the lactose to 9%, and abv around 9% as well.

What about trying 1 or 2 cans of the fruit puree that we all know and love? "Vintner's Harvest" peach, apricot, raspberry and cherry are available at morebeer:

https://www.morebeer.com/category/fruit-flavorings-purees-homebrewing.html

1 can in a 5 gallon batch or two? 1 whole vanilla bean in the primary, open it up or what?

i want to try it just for the excitement of trying it!

Trust me i thought the same thing before i drank it. I thought it was gimmicky. I went in expecting to hate it, but ended up being blown away.

It really doesn't sound disgusting at all. He's just part of the "it's hip to blindly bash the NEIPA style" clique.

"Milkshake" beer is not typical NEIPA, so thinking a vanilla/fruit/milk (lactose) IPA specialty beer sounds disgusting isn't bashing NEIPAs at all.

Not commenting on the bashing side, but the base recipe (grain/hop/water/yeast) for these beers are essentially what is used for a NE IPA. I personally haven't tried one yet, but am excited as well to try making one. In my mind, I view milkshake IPAs as a subclass of NE IPAs, but that may just be me.

Not commenting on the bashing side, but the base recipe (grain/hop/water/yeast) for these beers are essentially what is used for a NE IPA. I personally haven't tried one yet, but am excited as well to try making one. In my mind, I view milkshake IPAs as a subclass of NE IPAs, but that may just be me.

I'm with you.. My base recipe for the milkshake was basically my standard NE IPA recipe.

I guess that this topic doesn't deserve more frankness, but if you haven't had it, I don't think it's fair to categorize it. I, personally, would not put them in the same basket. I've had Tired hands' "originals" and other copies. The only similarity with NEIPAs is that they don't have much bitterness for all that hop flavor

I don't know why we're splitting hairs here gentlemen about the difference between the two. Don't forget, it was beers like hophands, a "pale ale", that first attracted this milkshake label initially. The term was used to describe these hazy IPAs popping up in the northeast. In response... tired hands literally made a "milkshake" IPA as a response to the comments and labels.

I don't know why we're splitting hairs here gentlemen about the difference between the two. Don't forget, it was beers like hophands, a "pale ale", that first attracted this milkshake label initially. The term was used to describe these hazy IPAs popping up in the northeast. In response... tired hands literally made a "milkshake" IPA as a response to the comments and labels.

o let's clarify what we are talking about - my understanding is that a "milkshake" beer, at least as the OP was trying to do it, uses lactose, much like a milk/cream stout, but in a fruity IPA. Is that right?

o let's clarify what we are talking about - my understanding is that a "milkshake" beer, at least as the OP was trying to do it, uses lactose, much like a milk/cream stout, but in a fruity IPA. Is that right?

essentially its an NEIPA with added lactose (most see mt obe using half of what a stout would), fermented normally, and possibly biotranshopped. then they rack onto their chosen fruit (mango etc) and condition. from there, its a final dryhop for added hop flavor to compliment said fruit.
EASY lol

I'd like to introduce some Nelson hops into the mix.
My last batch was:
30 min whirlpool of:
2 oz. citra
2 oz. mosaic
1.0z simcoe

Dryop @4th day of:
2 0z. citra
1 oz. mosaic
1 oz. simcoe

Same dryhop @ 10th day

Which hop additions would you recommend swapping for Nelson? I have 4 oz. on hand.

;

I'd like to introduce some Nelson hops into the mix.
My last batch was:
30 min whirlpool of:
2 oz. citra
2 oz. mosaic
1.0z simcoe

Dryop @4th day of:
2 0z. citra
1 oz. mosaic
1 oz. simcoe

Same dryhop @ 10th day

Which hop additions would you recommend swapping for Nelson? I have 4 oz. on hand.
;

you could:
a- dryhop exclusively with them.
b- swap out 1oz of citra for 1 oz of nelson
or c- use nelson instead of simcoe throughout.

all 3 would be bloody tasty IMO.

Back