Kegging tomorrow. One question and verification of my plan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMBB

Reaction score
As the title says I am kegging for the first time tomorrow. Here are the details

I have ten days to carb it up for a pre-wedding party. It was in primary for 16 days (fermentation temps a little low) and has been in secondary for 10 days.

I am putting together keezer tomorrow morning (well, just the temperature controller, and getting it to the right temperature. Kegging will happen in the afternoon.

My plan is to set the regulator at 30psi for 48hrs and then drop it to 11psi so I end up with about 2.4 volumes of Co2 at 40 degrees.

The beer will be dispensed from a faucet mounted directly to the ball lock of a corny keg that is in a 70qt igloo cube cooler filled with ice.

Does that sound about right?

Also, I read somewhere, I wish that I could remember more, that the regulator should be dropped to around 2-5psi when serving from a setup such as mine. Is that accurate?

You may be overcarbed at 30 psi for 48 hours. If the beer is warm when you keg it (and then stick it in the kegerator), I'd go with 36 hours. If the beer is cold when you start, go with 24 hours.

The faucet setup might foam quite a lot, even if you drop the pressure to just low enough to push it. Is there no way you can use some beerline?

The beer will be warm. I'll do 36 hours on that end. I have a pick nick dispenser that is ready to go but I wanted to do something a little different. If it doesn't work I'm not too worried about it.

Back