Transporting Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueberryHill

Reaction score
My friend wants to brew a Pliny clone with me at my place on Sunday. Then he wants to take the finished wort with him 1/2 hour away to his house so he can ferment/bottle it there. Is this a bad idea?

Should he wait and pitch the yeast once he gets home? Should this not be attempted at all? Just wondering if you guys think it will be OK, or if this is a bad idea, what specifically would go wrong?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I would say, go ahead and do it. Pitch the yeast as soon as the wort is the right temperature. Protect the wort from sun light and temperature fluctuations. Sloshing during transport would just be a little more aeration.

This done often for AHA wort rallys. I used a bucket, lots of kegs are used too.

Whatever you can seal best.

Go for it! Personally, I would pitch the yeast and then transport to keep it all sealed up but 30 minutes is probably not a big deal. Safety first though, make sure that wort if belted in! A quick stop could make for a very sad and sticky situation....

I have done this b4. I wanted to make a beer for a family reunion but was unable to attend said event due to work. I made a 15g batch while my parents were in to visit and they brought brought an ale pale that I filled up and sent back for my brother to finish.

My plan was to send the wort and yeast separate for legal reasons (transportation of alcohol across state lines and 5g that doesn't go against my 200g)

I was more concerned about an infection of the wort so I pitched the yeast and sent sent it on its way 2 days later, 8 hour drive.

I did side by side taste test a few months later and 0there was very little difference.

So for a 30min trip on the same day as the brew I vote it is just fine and just think about the temp of the wort during travel to sway your decision on when to pitch the yeast.

No problem at all, I've done this with a buddy of mine where we brewed (including pitching the yeast) 10 gallons on a Saturday (5 gallons each), then he took his bucket home with him on Sunday, a 3 hour drive away. No issues at all.

Back