Transporting wort outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Smith

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I am going to brew a saison and for that i need to ferment at my place of work as i can get the desired temperature there and not at home. Due to change of plans i can no longer brew there so i am thinking of how feasible it is to brew at home and then take the wort their in the fermenter.
The thing is it is a 5 minute walk and i don't have a car so it would be carrying it outside. Is this a bad idea? is there a high chance of infection?
cheers

There is no chance of infection if it's all sanitised and sealed up. If you pitch the yeast before you leave then the extra splashing while you transport will be very good for the yeast.

The question is whether you can carry 50 pounds of wort for the distance without spilling it.

Or, just go get yourself a heat belt and a temp controller and ferment at home. That's what I'd do.

I'll second Sadu here. Carrying 5+ gallons of wort for 5 minutes is going to a treck. I'd find a way to ferment at home, but you could always invest in a small trolley to roll the fermenter down the road if you really wanted to, though.

so transporting it in a fermenter with an air lock, after pitching is okay? is there a better vessel?

so transporting it in a fermenter with an air lock, after pitching is okay? is there a better vessel?
A keg would be better because it's completely sealed. But don't go buying one if you don't already have one.

Otherwise, you will be fine. Plug up the airlock hole with some other sanitised object until you get there. So long as you don't drop it there's not much that can go wrong here. If your fermentor is sanitised properly it's not going to pick up bugs on a short journey.
Carrying a full fermentor that distance will probably suck big time, but you know that already :ban:

One with wheels?

There will be less bacteria in the air outside than inside your home and since you will have pitched the yeast and put an airlock on no bacteria will get in anyway. The only problem with transporting after pitching yeast is in a car where technically it is beer after the yeast is pitched and then the "open bottle" laws can be used against you. The probability of that is near zero.

I would be more worried about how you are going to transport it BACK after it’s done fermenting. Splashing on the way there is fine, splashing on the way back is a good way to introduce unwanted oxygen to the beer.

I would be more worried about how you are going to transport it BACK after it’s done fermenting. Splashing on the way there is fine, splashing on the way back is a good way to introduce unwanted oxygen to the beer.
Plus the sloshing will mix and stir up the trub, you would have to let it set for a day to settle back down.

Im gonna be bottling there so no dramas

Dang you must really love making beer to walk 5 gallons to a location to ferment then bottle and walk it back to your home. I'm guessing it's not an issue with your place of work to have beer at the property. I would get a little wagon , one with the nice thick wheels that you can air up . You could put a box right over the carboy and pull it in the wagon .

Dang you must really love making beer to walk 5 gallons to a location to ferment then bottle and walk it back to your home. I'm guessing it's not an issue with your place of work to have beer at the property. I would get a little wagon , one with the nice thick wheels that you can air up . You could put a box right over the carboy and pull it in the wagon .
He already said he'd be bottling at work....

Latest posts

Back