Transporting recently bottle beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddhurst

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am going to be flying on wednesday night and would like to take some of the beer I will be bottling on monday night with me, so that friends up there will be able to have some once its ready.

So far, the plan is to 3/4 fill a 2L soda bottle with beer, and squeeze in the sides a bit to allow it room to expand if it needs to. I figure if it freezes in the hold (unlikely, this is only a US->Canada flight) or gets a bit shaken up the bottle can expand to use the 'pushed in' space and prevent bursting.

Has anyone tried this before, or have any tips on safely transporting carbonating beer?

Many thanks!

Honestly, this is probably a really good opportunity to find some great canadian craft brews...pretty sure your 2L bottle will not make it through baggage check...pretty sure my 12oz bottle of shampoo got confiscated last time I flew nationally

But if you wanna try then the method you describe should work fine

I know of a few good brews up there, (I frequent Bushwakkers) but I want to take my own to share with friends.

I intend to put it in my checked baggage, so it should be no problem. We're allowed to bring beer in, so long as it doesn't exceed duty free limits.

I'm just concerned about bursting really, so thanks for confirming my thoughts!

I have a hard time believing they would allow you to have an open (not sealed) alcoholic beverage in your carry-on. You can however bring a case with you, here are the duty free allowances for canada:

"The duty free rules for visitors and tourists in Canada are relatively simple and the following items can be brought into Canada without paying duty.

These allowances apply to both International visitors arriving through airports (Toronto and Vancouver being the most popular) as well as cross-border land crossings from the United States.
Alcohol - remember these are either/or options
1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine or
1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor.
Or a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor or
24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounce) cans or bottles (maximum up to 8.5 litres) of beer."

You should just bring a case and check it. If you've bottled them it should be fine and they will continue to carb, plus the hold is pressurized so I don't think there are any worries there.

I just returned from a trip with 13 bottles in my checked bag. I packed my suitcase full of rolled clothes and wrapped all bottles in plastic bags. Distributed throughout the middle of the bag and more clothes on top. Remember the airlines generally put the top side of the bag face down since it won't slide off like the flat side with wheels.

All 13 of mine made it back including a bottle of Texas Bourbon and a 750ml Belgian style bottle.

I also flew out with unlabeled beer without a problem but it was a domestic flight.

No way you're getting through security with any kind of liquid over 100ml, sealed or not. But shouldn't be an issue as long as I check it.

I thought about bottling normally and taking that, but I feel the glass has a better chance of breaking, and should there be any freezing going on it'd have no chance. I get the holds are pressurized and usually heated, but I've had stuff freeze before (notably a snow-globe).

My thoughts on the plastic bottle is I can squeeze it to allow room for expansion without an issue, as well as it being less prone to breakage.

I am planning to take some of my bottled beer on vacation but I am concerned about the high temps it would be exposed to over a couple of days. I have never exposed any of mine to temps above that used for fermentation. Any advise?

in case its of use to anyone:

The litre and a half survived just fine in transit. The TSA didn't inspect my bag.

The bottle did expand significantly, though there was no breakage/leaking.

Huzzah!

Back