Transporting kegs/reduce foaming at party???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm taking two kegs to a tasting and wish to pour them without foaming once I arrive. They are currently properly carbonated at 4celcius in a kegerator. I'm using 10ft of line with a cobra tap and can reduce pressure if required.

Any tips to reduce the shook up foaming from driving? Should I pre chill at all? Or add extra pressure to head space?

I assume I will be pouring the kegs from outdoors which will be warmer than the kegerator (10 Celsius?) so they may slowly warm throughout the day before I get to pour them...

absolutely chill them beforehand and grab a big bucket and some ice
for a setup like that, I might go longer than 10 feet for insurance. I have 2 5/16" lines that are 15 feet long each which I use for portability. Foaming isnt an issue with them. I set the serving pressure to around 6psi

Unless you can have them sitting overnight without being agitated, the first few pints (and probably 1/4 of the keg) are going to have a lot fo yeast and trub

I do what m00ps does but I use 1/4" line, 20' long. its overkil, for sure but it really cuts the foam a lot.

Get a couple of cheap kitchen trash cans for ice.

If the kegs are clear now, then you may consider "jumping" the beer from one of the kegs into an empty keg. This will help keep the beer clear during transport. Then jump the second keg into the one you just emptied (after cleaning it.)

To jumper you make a jumper hose with each end being a liquid Quick Connect. Pressurize the empty keg to match the full keg, and put the jumper hose on the liquid post of each keg. Then SLOWLY let the CO2 out of the empty keg. This will keep the kegs close to the same pressure and minimize foaming. The beer will flow down the empty keg's liquid tube and gently (more or less) fill the new keg.

You may lose a small amount of beer, but it's worth it to serve clear beer at a party.

Back