Transferring to bottling bucket & Oxidation/Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a stupid question but I'm a little unsure on this.

I keg the majority of what I brew but I also enjoy sharing with others and hope to start entering competitions which obviously requires me to bottle a bit. I hope to eventually compliment my grainfather with their conical but for the time being I'm using plastic buckets. In the past, I've just kegged directly from the primary fermenter but I know to bottle, I also need to transfer to another vessel first.

As an example, let's say I have a final volume of six gallons. How difficult would it be to avoid oxidizing and/or infecting my beer if I first transferred to a bottling bucket, kegged five gallons to be force carbonated, added priming sugar mixture to the remaining gallon and bottled that?

Like I said, I usually package straight from the primary but I know this is not possible if I bottle. Will the above method work or does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks in advance.

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I'm a little unsure on this.

I keg the majority of what I brew but I also enjoy sharing with others and hope to start entering competitions which obviously requires me to bottle a bit. I hope to eventually compliment my grainfather with their conical but for the time being I'm using plastic buckets. In the past, I've just kegged directly from the primary fermenter but I know to bottle, I also need to transfer to another vessel first.

As an example, let's say I have a final volume of six gallons. How difficult would it be to avoid oxidizing and/or infecting my beer if I first transferred to a bottling bucket, kegged five gallons to be force carbonated, added priming sugar mixture to the remaining gallon and bottled that?

Like I said, I usually package straight from the primary but I know this is not possible if I bottle. Will the above method work or does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks in advance.
I would just keg the 5 gallons and use carb drops for the remaining bottles then you don't have to worry about mixing up priming sugar in what's left.

I would just keg the 5 gallons and use carb drops for the remaining bottles then you don't have to worry about mixing up priming sugar in what's left.
Thanks for the feedback! I considered carb drops as I have some left over from my Mr. Beer days. Unfortunately, I haven't been impressed with their consistency from bottle to bottle. Is it doable to carbonate a single gallon with sugar or is it simply not possible? Also, my main concern was oxidation. Do you think that would be a concern with the method I outlined above?

I think you could transfer the 1 gallon into small bucket with a spigot and keg the rest as usual. Alternately, keg all the beer and bottle from the keg after carbonating the beer.

What I've done is gone straight from primary to bottle and used the Domino sugar cubes with good results. I will fill some bottles before I keg which allows me to siphon from the middle of the carboy for the bottles. I am doing a pressurized closed transfer, and rigged up a hose with a bottling wand on the end it works great. You could make the same setup on an auto siphon as well.

You could also transfer to a bottling bucket, prime the entire batch, keg what you can, and bottle the rest. Then set the keg aside to naturally carb.

You could also transfer to a bottling bucket, prime the entire batch, keg what you can, and bottle the rest. Then set the keg aside to naturally carb.
I considered this but doesn't it take less sugar in a keg than in a bottle? If I can use the same amount without risking overcarbonation, I definitely believe this is my best option.

A Domino Dot™ will yield about 2.4 to 2.5 volumes of CO2 in a 12 ounce bottle. You could also use a beer gun to fill bottles with carbonated beer from your keg. Extra expense!

Sure it's possible. That's how I do it most of the time. For 11 or 12 ounce bottles, I use Domino Dots sugar cubes. For larger bottles, I weigh the sugar for each one on a cheap digital scale with 1/10 gram resolution.

I considered this but doesn't it take less sugar in a keg than in a bottle? If I can use the same amount without risking overcarbonation, I definitely believe this is my best option.

I have successfully primed a batch using this method. I added enough sugar for a 5-gallon batch, but the volume was closer to 6. I didn't notice any overcarbing in the bottle or the keg.

Latest posts

Back