Transferred too Early! Can't believe it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolomo

Reaction score
Brewing a Scottish Export and managed to transfer to the secondary too early.
SG was at 1.026. Target FG is 1.014.

I know. I should have tested before transfer. I've done this recipe a bunch of times and it always finished quickly.

There was still a good krausen on top but, I just used a SSTech fermentation unit for the first time and didn't notice it until after racking and removing the lid. Would have seen it had I tested first!

SOOOOOO, should I just wait to see what happens in the secondary? Should I pitch more yeast?

Well sure. Why not just throw some of the yeast from primary into the secondary? Then just bottle it from there when it's done.

There could be enough yeast in suspension. I don't quite follow how you didn't notice the krausen. If I notice krausen then I don't touch the beer, not even to test it. Secondary is not something I generally use, so I just let the beer actually finish in primary.

Thanks both for this. I've collected the yeast from the primary and put it into the secondary (I'm thinking it is really another primary??).

I've been brewing with carboys and you can always see the Krausen, but the SSTech are stainless and I'm well an idiot for not checking the SG and popping the lid. THis is what I get for being lazy.

Learned my lesson.

Good news, they airlock on the new primary is going strong.

Latest posts

Back