Transfer to primary,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff20578

Reaction score
I’ve just brewed my first batch today. I tried a wet hop as I have a ton of hops I needed to use up. My question is, I’ve just finished my boil and filled up my 5 gallon carboy and pitched the yeast. I’m a bit concerned it’s not filled high enough. I’m just planning on keeping it in the primary for 2 weeks and then bottling.

Attachments

• EE354230-024D-4415-8871-70BE17EF6852.jpeg
    EE354230-024D-4415-8871-70BE17EF6852.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
It should be fine. But gravity and taste should tell you when to bottle, not the calendar.

As @VikeMan said don't use the calendar...take a hydrometer reading and make sure it's stable for 3 days before bottling...otherwise you're at risk for bottle bombs.

At what point do you recommend reading?
Can I also take a reading the same day yeast was pitched?

Last edited:
As for the volume, that’s totally fine! In fact higher up and you’d run the risk of a blow off because there would be much less head space for the krausen in my opinion.

As for when it’ll be ready, the yeast will tell you (through both a hydrometer reading and when they flocculate and drop out).

Beer went cloudy the day after I put in carboy. Will this clear up over the next couple weeks? Or did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• 9246435A-1735-420D-A1F3-3AFAACED4355.jpeg
    9246435A-1735-420D-A1F3-3AFAACED4355.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Beer went cloudy the day after I put in carboy. Will this clear up over the next couple weeks? Or did I do something wrong?

It will clear up. It’s looking good. It’s just in the process of fermenting currently. Krausen looks good. Cheers mate

your yeast is busy working, that's awesome!

and to answer an earlier question, you probably should take a gravity reading on your brew day. That way you have a method to track progress of your yeast.

Been about a week, looks like yeast has started to slow. Is it typical to have that “grimy” ring above the liquid?

Attachments

• 540F5605-09C7-4E90-B8FF-EF1C215FDA99.jpeg
    540F5605-09C7-4E90-B8FF-EF1C215FDA99.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Is there any liquid in your airlock? It looks dry in the pictures.

You need liquid in it for it to function. There should be a fill line on it but halfway up is good. Some prefer sanitizer, others water. Dry will allow air and unwanted organisms in.

You need liquid in it for it to function. There should be a fill line on it but halfway up is good. Some prefer sanitizer, others water. Dry will allow air and unwanted organisms in.
Crap! Thank you. Hopefully this hasn’t effected anything.

Crap! Thank you. Hopefully this hasn’t effected anything.

Chances are pretty good that it's fine from a contamination perspective. But once the internal pressure drops enough (i.e. no more steady stream of CO2 being vented), a dry airlock will let air in, including oxygen which is not good for the beer's freshness/shelf life. For that matter, a full airlock will also let air in, but a lot less of it.

Vodka also works great if your out of sanitizer. I’d use that before I used water.

Vodka also works great if your out of sanitizer. I’d use that before I used water.

Vodka works great even if you're not out of sanitizer. Star San solution can make a foamy mess as the CO2 bubbles through it.

Back