Transfer to keg after dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheBasement

Reaction score
I am preparing to dry hop my beer and was considering dumping the hops right into the beer without any bag. I am just wondering though, how do I transfer to keg in a week without getting a bunch of hop debris into the keg?

Ideally you can cold crash the fermenter and let the hops drop to the bottom before you transfer to keg. If you can't cold crash you can still just transfer normally and once you tap the keg expect some cloudy initial pours that will get clearer after the hop residue is served.

A day cold crash sinks all my hops to the bottom, below my spigot, so when I transfer to the keg there is hardly any debris.

I used to cold crash, now I'm lazy. I just use my auto-siphon as gently as I can. Besides, a little flavor crystals (hop material) isn't always a bad thing. However, take care not to get to many large pieces as it can/will clog poppits.

For that, I've found that tying a sanitized paint strainer bag to the out-flow end of the siphon hose works great. I first tried tying it over the auto-siphon end that goes into the carboy but found that created too many bubbles in the line. Tying it to the hose works like a champ!

Did you use whole hops or pellets to dry hop? Pellet material will fall out and sink. I've never gotten whole hops to completely sink during a cold crash. You don't want hop material in your keg's dip tube or poppets, not a good situation. Use a mesh bag to strain during transfer if you just tossed them in, that worked fine on my last batch.

Back