Trading from AK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GluStick

Reaction score
I am looking for someone to do some trading with that lives in America. I am in alaska and people act like its a different country from the U.S. Of A. Anyhow, I'm looking for someone that is willing to do some trading. Send me a P.M. If interested and we can work something out.

Anything not distro in AK. For instance, I can't get any jolly pumpkin or crooked stave. What I would really like to try is some of the Russian river sours. But what would be really nice, would be a person to continuously trade

Unfortunately for you, it's not the 'People' that treat AK as a different country. It's the shipping companies.

I would have no issue shipping to AK, except:

For example, consider a 12# box 12x12x12. Reasonable size for a trade, but just making up some numbers. Using FedEx.

For me to ship to... the cost is..
Florida...$15
So-Cal...$22
Anchorage...$72!!!

I've done several trades for "local shelf beer,' its fun to do, and alot easier than trading for anything "special." But in this case, the shipping just drives it up way too much!

But, I wish you luck! Trading beers is fun, but not cheap for sure!

Shipping to AK and HI is all by air via UPS for sure, FedEx probably. They aren't pulling trailers through Canada so even if you select ground it will still go on a plane.

Yeah that's true. It does get on a plane from AK to the states. But otherwise I do ground through ups when i actually do get a trade. I never do anything faster than ground because the prices get even worse.
Ups is actually cheaper than fed ex from ak to Cali. I had someone kind enough to get a trade going with me that lived in Cali, shipping was still expensive and all, but I paid less through ups than I would've with fed ex. Anyhow, I'm just fishing for a trade lol

Yeah that's true. It does get on a plane from AK to the states. But otherwise I do ground through ups when i actually do get a trade. I never do anything faster than ground because the prices get even worse.
Ups is actually cheaper than fed ex from ak to Cali. I had someone kind enough to get a trade going with me that lived in Cali, shipping was still expensive and all, but I paid less through ups than I would've with fed ex. Anyhow, I'm just fishing for a trade lol

Using usps is scary, but I read somewhere that some lady is trying to pass a bill to allow alcoholic beverages to be sent through usps. If that happens, best bet I'll be using usps. It'll probably cost the same though :-(

Using usps is scary, but I read somewhere that some lady is trying to pass a bill to allow alcoholic beverages to be sent through usps. If that happens, best bet I'll be using usps. It'll probably cost the same though :-(

If that passes you will still need a permit to ship alcohol

Back