Trader Joes Spiced Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcangeli

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried using the Trader Joes Spiced Cider for making a cider or apple ale.

Yes, I've used it to make cider. It comes out tasting of spices. Its decent, but not really cost effective

Good timing, I got a bottle of this for free and was wondering what to do with it. How strong is the spice level?

It has a bit of residual spiced sweetness to it. Certainly no more spiced then the pre-fermented levels, so not all that strong, but noticeable. In short, throw some yeast in, you can't go wrong.

I made a gallon batch of cider and pitched an entire package of nottingham yeast. I was trying for a sweet quick cider and unfortunately (by my own error) the cider ended up looking pretty milky and smelled and tasted of yeast. It wasn't awesome. I drank it instead of giving it away to the woman I made it for and paid for it. Too much yeast did a number on my tummy. :eek:

That being said, I would likely try it again and use far less yeast if I am going to stop fermentation early. It is not cheap though when compared to others.

Setting aside my dumb moves, the cider is good by itself and had some residual spices that came through the excessive use of yeast. If I had gotten it for free I would certainly use it.

As a non alcoholic drink its probably one of the best spiced ciders.

Good to know it makes a decent hard cider.

How much is it a gallon. I don't live near TJ's, but could drive to one if its not outragous. (Can only find Zeiglers in the local stores and its got preservatives..)

Last year it was $3 for a half gallon. But I live in upstate New York, so tons of cider mills in the area. And one of them gives me unpasteurized and unfiltered cider

Back