Tower/collar hybrid???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
Still staring at a 10cf chest freezer while trying to decide on a keezer design.

I feel much more comfortable doing a collar since it is so much less invasive to the freezer, buy I would prefer serving from a tower.

How awful would it be to build a collar and feed lines through the rear to a tower so that I didn't need to cut a hole in the freezer lid? Of course, this would mean about a foot of beer line would be unrefrigerated.

The design you are looking for is commonly called a coffin keezer. Do a Google search and you can see a ton of things people have done with it. You can use a fan blowing cold air from the freezer to mitigate the issue of the warm beer too.

Why not just build the collar bigger so it sticks out the side or front? You'd have to enclose the portion sticking out, but you wouldn't have any lines outside the freezer. You could make it six inches wider than the opening/lid and have the tower mounted on that. That way you could still open the lid without worrying about the tower hitting a wall or the lines moving too much.

How about building a collar for keg clearance (if needed) and a replacement wooden lid (perhaps insulated on bottom) to attach your tower to? Kind of a "half-coffin" build.

Back