Torn: Keg -OR- Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelimbo

Reaction score
I am torn between getting a kegging system or getting a Blichmann floor burner. Pricing things out, I think I can get a kegging system for around $200. The blichman burner is 150 plus another 30 or so for the leg extensions (using all gravity right now so I think the extensions are a must for me). So roughly speaking, they are in the same ballpark for cost.

I think the burner is an awesome (ideally, at some point in the way off future, I would like to get the top tier system), but I have two batches of beer close to bottling right now and I am not looking forward to bottling those batches... at all.

Bottling typically takes me about 2 hours. I am figuring with kegging, it could take maybe 30 or 40 minutes (rinse, let some BPW sit in there for 15 minutes, drain, sanitize, and fill). So a time savings of at least an hour or more.

On the other hand though, reaching a boil on the stove does take a painfully long time. The outdoor burner would probably reduce my brew day by about 45 or so. I would be able to get a better/stronger boil. Also I would love to brew out in the garage; that way I can enjoy a brew, brewing, and a stogie all at the same time.

What's everyone's thoughts? Keg or burner?

Both!

But seriously, I think a better boil should be your concern; especially if you brew all grain. Honestly, is bottling really that bad? A kegerator is like a water cooler, you end up drinking when you look at it but have no idea how much you drank.

Good point - going to order the burner. Thanks for your help!

No problem. Kegs can be a pain in the ass just like bottles when they leak beer or CO2 and need cleaning and servicing. Or when you really want a beer and find your regulator is on the fritz and overcarbed your beer. That sucks.

But someday you will get one.

Burner. but def invest in a wort chiller either way. Ur gonna have much more to cool down then, and a immersion chiller, plate chiller or Counter Flow Chiller are crucial for a good cold break to go with the good hot break ull get from ur blichmann.

Also, just a piece of advice, check out the youtube videos on how to dial in ur Blichmann when u get it. it'll keep the burn clean without any staining.

You mentioned that you could get a kegging system for about $200.00 but I am not sure if that is a good deal or not. I am going to assume that this includes just one keg and a single regulator and a 5 lb CO2 tank. I am also going to assume that it is a cobra tap.

You will still need to need a way to keep your beer cool. This will require a freezer (probably a chest freezer) or a refrigerator. Even if you get it off Craig's list, it will still cost you something. Then if it has just one keg, you will probably want to get another -- assume $50.00 for that keg.

If your situation is a question of cash flows, then you could purchase the burner and begin using it right away. If you purchase the kegging system, it may take some time to purchase all the items you need and then assembling them so that you can use the kegging system.

I am speaking partly from experience. I have been purchasing the parts for the kegging system over the last few years, and I am now just getting to the point to put the finishing touches on the keezer and start kegging. In the meantime, I have been using my Blichmann Burner for at least two or three years and have been enjoying its benefits.

I am not sorry about taking the time to get into kegging, and I do look forward to that, but burner has been a godsend.

Mark

Yeah, kegging seems like, once you plop down the cash you are in it to win it.

@LuiInIdaho - That aspect made me second guess the purchase (I had my wallet out and everything but decided to sanity check what the heck I was doing). ThatJonGuy saved me! :drunk:

I had my eye on homebrewing.org's 4 pin lock kegs for 120-ish deal. I would just aim to use two at first with just picnic taps. Pick up regulator off of ebay for $45-ish dollars (including shipping), misc hoses parts for another 20 or bucks or so, and then a 5lb CO2... 200 was a bit optimistic. More around 250/300. I already have a spare fridge in the garage so I am set from that point (thankfully) so at least I am not having to hunt that down.

All in all, I think I am in love with the idea of kegging but the cost of it and the time to accumulate the parts... as well as other's comments, just seems like I will hold off. Bottling is kind of the red-head-step-child next to actually brewing up the beer.

@Pratzie - For sure. Before my first brew I actually made a 20' wort chiller out of some copper I picked up from HD. Has been working out really well and pretty easy to make. LOL - the YouTube video that Blichmann posted is what sold me on the burner. Slick company and nice looking stuff.

@ThatJonGuy - Thanks again. Definitely sound advice.

Definitely going burner - going to be placing the order this week just waiting for a few things to line up before I plunking down the cash.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Grab the kegs as soon as you can. Even pinlocks are getting stupid crazy expensive... $30-ish a pop is a GOOD deal.

Add the rest of the stuff to get the kegs running as you can.. it *will* nickel and dime you to death.

You'll like the Blichmann. My SWMBO uses it for canning.. cuts her stove time by 75%. :)

Edited to add: After shipping, you're looking at closer to $40 each for those kegs. Still a good price.

brewmcq said:
Grab the kegs as soon as you can. Even pinlocks are getting stupid crazy expensive... $30-ish a pop is a GOOD deal.

Add the rest of the stuff to get the kegs running as you can.. it *will* nickel and dime you to death.

You'll like the Blichmann. My SWMBO uses it for canning.. cuts her stove time by 75%. :)

Edited to add: After shipping, you're looking at closer to $40 each for those kegs. Still a good price.

I would second the idea of buying kegs now. I purchased mine three years ago and now just getting ready to brew at first legged beer. I got the kegs for about $25 or $30 each then. Now they are crazy expensive.

Mark.

Just ordered the burner. Pissed - ordered from NB but 20 min later saw midwest was running a free shipping deal. Could have saved by 15 bucks.

Such is life I guess...

Will be saving up for the keg purchase. Hoping there will still be some still left around. It is crazy how much the price had shot up over time. .. forget gold... Go with kegs!!!

Back