Topping off all grain after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
Brewed this weekend and I missed my target OG of 1.047 and ended up at 1.059 due to being a gallon short of my 5 gallon batch goal.

I know further aeration is a bad thing after fermentation wraps up... My boil kettle has a ball valve on it, would it be feasible to boil the top off water, transfer it via the valve and tube gently into the fermenter, then proceed with my cold-conditioning?

I know it's not a HUGE deal, but an extra gallon means I get to share/drink that much more with friends.

just keep in mind how much diluting the mix will decrease final ABV.
if you just add water:
you won't actually have more to share with friends, you'll have more fluids, but the same amount of the good stuff

personally i'd go with less of the stronger beer, and less messing with it while it's doing it's thing.

I'd just leave it as is personally. I'd rather have a nice higher ABV beer at 4 gallons than possibly have a 5 gallon oxidized batch.

If you do it then cool the water down first and put your sanitized transfer hose underneath the surface of the beer. Stir it gently so that you get even dilution. You'll probably have to let all the trub settle out for a few days before bottling.

Next time top up before fermenting. It's less work.

I wouldn't do it. You risk oxidation and as said before, you will most likely have to stir and kick up a decent amount of trub/yeast back into suspension. Plus, who's to say it will mix in properly even if you stir?

I'd just leave it as is personally. I'd rather have a nice higher ABV beer at 4 gallons than possibly have a 5 gallon oxidized batch.

If you do it then cool the water down first and put your sanitized transfer hose underneath the surface of the beer. Stir it gently so that you get even dilution. You'll probably have to let all the trub settle out for a few days before bottling.

Next time top up before fermenting. It's less work.

True, but next time I'm going to try and NOT be an idiot and remember to account for the dead space in my mash tun, and hopefully have my full volume to begin with :p

Thanks for the advice all, I'm going to just let it be and see how it tastes. I'm guessing now my trappist single will be more of a Junior Tripel or some kind of Dirty Blond ;)

Back