Top Tier shelf not big enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I have a Blichmann Top Tier brewstand. It has two shelves, one for HLT and the other for the Mash tun, and a propane burner for the boil kettle. My HLT kettle (7 gallon) and cooler mash tun (10 gallon) fit perfectly on the shelves.

The size of the kettle and mash tun has limited me to doing 5 gallon batches. I want to start doing 10 gallon batches so I purchased some new equipment.
Without considering the 16x16 inch shelves, I upgraded to a 15 gallon HLT and 15 gallon SS mash tun. The diameter of the HLT is 15.7 inches so it will fit on the shelf without a problem. However, the mash tun has a diameter of 17.7 inches. This wouldn't be so bad to have a inch or so hang over the side of the shelf but the shelf has an upturn edge on it:

Top%20Tier%20Shelf.jpg

I would like to keep the shelf as is but "rig" a flat surface shelf over the top of the Top Tier shelf. Or, just have another larger shelf made that resembles the Top Tier shelf but just bigger so the mash tun fits on it.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Maybe fabricate some kind of spacer equal to the height of the lip on the shelf. Place than on the shelf, then the pot on it.

Back