Top It Off With Tomato Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hecjt

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before. I've found that I (strangely) like beer with tomato juice or Bloody Mary mix in it. I'm usually a traditionalist but, damn, this is good.

I'm not interested in brewing with tomato. Rather, I'm wondering if anyone has input on brewing a traditional beer and then adding tomato juice (or Bloody Mary mix) in the keg and then force carbonating. I would think this would be perfectly safe as the tomato juice will only add to the acidity and I don't need to worry about fermentation since this is a finished beer, sans carbonation.

Thoughts?

I would think this would be perfectly safe as the tomato juice will only add to the acidity and I don't need to worry about fermentation since this is a finished beer, sans carbonation.

Thoughts?

This is one of those things that I keep meaning to try but never remember.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was enough of some type of sugar in tomato juice to kick off some fermentation at room temperature, so you may want to make sure you keep the mix cold. Probably not a huge deal if it's kept in a keg though.

Mmmm, tomato beer, used to order that in NE. I think as far as food safety it would be fine, I just think the juice plup will settle to the bottom of the keg, and you won’t have uniformity in the drafts.

Every once in a while I see a Clamato beer canned, I think by Budweiser, probably have to give a good swirl or turn it over before pouring.

I like them. I think you'd be better off making it "to order", since that would make clean up easier. Cleaning the kegs and the lines after having that in it, could be a pain.

I put a little maggi sauce in mine and top it off with camaronazo picante. If you can find it, I prefer that to clamato.

I mke a big-azz batch of bloody Mary mix and top off a lite bmc or a farmhouse saison.
Canned, Modelo tamarind isn't bad if you squeeze a lime in it.
A keg for home, no fuggin way. But party weekend might be a game winner. Still think it would need the fresh squeeze if citrus. Cleaning the keg and lines afterwards might be a pain though .

Back