Top cropping effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AerationStation

Reaction score
So I've been meaning to try top cropping after hearing about the "super yeast" you can pull off the krausen. I've got a couple of questions about it though.

1) Do I need to worry about off flavors due to lowering the yeast population in the brew I'm pulling from? I've blown off and been fine but I don't know if there will be more yeast taken out during top cropping than blow off.

2) Will I be selecting for flocculant yeast more than scooping cake at the end of ferment? If so how many generations do you think you get before the population drifts noticeably.

3) Id imagine english yeasts would be the easiest to top crop but are other yeasts viable for the technique?

Thanks in advance, I'll be waiting with spoon in hand

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1) It depends on how late you crop and attenuation levels, as well as how much you've cropped. I believe I just over cropped my last 5 gallon keg fermentation via blow off, I'll keep you posted... But most likely, you will never take enough by by blow off or spoon to affect the beer you're brewing.

2) The less flocculant the yeast, the more attenuative it is (the better it's ability to digest maltotriose). That being said, I believe your sample will be fairly comprehensive and the population should be good for many generations, given appropriate maintenance. I don't believe you will artificially select for more or less flocculant yeasts. The yeast I cropped from the batch I mentioned flocculates readily in my erlenmeyer when the stir bar stops, but it is a highly flocculant british ale strain (1335).

3) Most all yeasts are good for top cropping, some lagers as well.

Back