Too warm for Wyeast Czech Pils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished a Czech-style pils on Monday evening, chilled my brew down to 56 degrees (the same temp as my starter) and pitched.

I live in a 100+ year old farmhouse that usually maintains a 56 degree cellar. Unfortunately for me, and probably 75% of the USA, this insanely hot summer has taken it's toll on my cellar temps.

Checked last night and my fermenter was sitting at 63 degrees, moved it to a cooler spot and now it's at 61.

Lager is def not my area of expertise.

Wyeast says the Czech Pils is best from 50-58 degrees... is 61-62 gonna end up giving me too much diacetyl?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Yes it's warm but not outrageously warm. Try putting the carboy in a big pot with cold water and ice. That will help cool it down. I wouldn't be as concerned about diacetyl as ester formation. But chances are it'll still be tasty. Stay cool

Thanks!

I considered bags of ice, etc... Guess I'm gonna have to babysit this bad boy until it goes into the fridge for lagering!

Same question, different spin:
With the czech pils kit i got from AHS, they recommended that you let wort sit at 65-72 until you see fermentation, then gently cool to 50-55. The back of the 2278 pack says this as well. I pitched 1 pack that swelled moderately into 65*F 5.25 gal 1.050.

I have my carboy temp controlled at 69 for the last 72 hours, with no apparent activity (I didn't take a reading yet) What I doing this wrong? Or do I need to RDWHAHB for a few more days. I'm pretty confident in my starsan sterilization, but waiting without alcohol in there always makes me nervous.

Thanks!

My experience with lagers, and what I see mostly recommended here, is to pitch it at fermentation temps of 50-58 depending on yeast. Why wait for fermentation to start at a warm temp, then miss the perfect time to cool it. Nothing in this craft is absolute though, so if it works to warm pitch, go ahead and do it.

It's always best practice to pitch a ton of yeast a couple degrees cooler than fermentation temps and let it rise to fermentation temps. IE: pitch at 45, let it rise and ferment at 50. We're talking 2-4 liter starters or 2-3 packets of dry lager yeast rehydrated.

I've read quite a few examples of diacetyl levels being exceedingly high if you start warm and slowly cool - because the yeast slows down too much to eat up the diacetyl it created early on in fermentation.

That's part of the reason I'm a little hesitant to cool my current brew down too much. I might keep it at 59/60 and see what happens.

But as zacster said, nothing in the world of beer is absolute. I'm trying not to stress and focusing on the logistics of doing back-to-back all grain high gravity brews on Saturday!

So I pitched a second 2278 which expanded nicely and didn't have the same funky yeast smell as the first one. I'm slowly cooling now to 60. What JohnnyNeurotic said makes sense about the DA production. I'm gonna check the sg this afternoon, hope for the best and if ready start dropping to 50-55*F

The big lesson for me with my first lager seems to be: make a starter, pitch extra yeast!

Back