Too much??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
The local welding shop wants $140 for a full 5lb tank. What do you guys think? Too much? Sounds like a lot to me, but I'm new in this market. And before you guys say to look on CL, there's nothing out there. I just looked.

You can get a new, empty tank online for $60-80 and then get it filled locally for around $20 so I would say that's a little high.

also check with any beverage supply companies, my local one was $40 cheaper for a used certified tank and $25 cheaper for a new tank. I went really cheap and got a odd ball 7lb reconditioned tank from Beverage Elements online, about $42 shipped at the time. The only downside is that I can't exchange it, but my local Scuba shop will refill it for $12.

also check with any beverage supply companies, my local one was $40 cheaper for a used certified tank and $25 cheaper for a new tank. I went really cheap and got a odd ball 7lb reconditioned tank from Beverage Elements online, about $42 shipped at the time. The only downside is that I can't exchange it, but my local Scuba shop will refill it for $12.

I looked at those and it seemed a bit suspicious. Are the tanks certified/inspected before sold? The refills are $19, so that's cool with me. My biggest issue at the moment is that I have a batch that has got to get kegged ASAP. I just don't know if these kegs will hold pressure yet.

Beverage Factory has them for $57 + shipping. Just order an empty one and bring it to the shop to get filled.

The welding shop can't put a really low margin on a product that they aren't moving in large volumes. They probably just carry them more for convenience.

Whattawort said:
I looked at those and it seemed a bit suspicious. Are the tanks certified/inspected before sold? The refills are $19, so that's cool with me. My biggest issue at the moment is that I have a batch that has got to get kegged ASAP. I just don't know if these kegs will hold pressure yet.

They (I have 2) have certification stamps from the same month I bought them in. They look like old medical oxygen cylinders and have a new valve co2 installed. I do get strange looks when I go to get them filled, but they always fill it.

Found a place that had 'em for $97. About the same I would have paid for one online after shipping and fill.

Back