Too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerseyfrank

Reaction score
Question, I made a 5 gal batch of a cream ale, I used fast pitch for my wyeast (I think that is the name of the product) liquid pack. I had to wait to brew so I dumped the wort off the yeats and added a new can and water. The next day I pitched my brew and the very next day the wort bubbled through the air lock. I have since changed to a blow off tube but am wondering if I ruined this batch?

No, it's very fine! You made a big active starter so it took of quickly and aggressively.
Just keep good sanitation around the fermenter's opening, that's where bugs come inside.

Are you controlling the ferm temps in any way? If not, you should, makes better tasting beer, while preventing large blowoffs!
How much headspace it there in the fermenter? A gallon is sort of the minimum.

Those may explain why it's foaming out of the airlock.

2 more things:
  • You most likely did not have to make the second starter. When the first starter was done, and you didn't get to brewing right away, just keep the jar in the fridge. It will be good there for several months, counting on 5-10% decrease in yeast viability per month. Then on brew day, just decant the clear beer off the top, let come to room temps while you brew, swirl it all up and pitch the slurry. Don't forget to aerate or oxygenate your batch!
  • Once you pitch yeast, wort becomes... beer!

Back