Too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelflyer2003

Reaction score
In my St. Paul Porter I put two yeast (Safale US-05) in the 5 gallon batch. I did this because the yeast was unrefrigerated for almost a year. I had them in the basement still in extract kits. I was concerned that that one package would under-deliver and the beer would not fully attenuate. With my first two batches of beer I seemed to get close to the target final gravity, but I was 1.002 to 1.003 off. This was batch number 3, and I am trying to give it every opportunity to fully attenuate. I rehydrated one of the packages and I think it was fine and quite active, but poured the second into the carboy anyway. I have spent the past 3 1/2 weeks wondering if it is going to taste yeasty. I read another post on here that someone said it would be fine, but I still have my doubts.

It will be fine. I have put wort on top of a full yeast cake of a previous beer (way over pitching) and have never had a problem or off flavors because of it.

If you let it settle you won't have a "yeasty" flavor. Through the process of fermenting your yeast will reproduce into WAY more than what you pitched. High temps can create yeast esters but they don't taste "yeasty".

With yeast that old I think that you did right in using both packs. Most of the yeast will settle out and not get transferred to the bottles or keg. Your beer should be good.

Thank you guys. I appreciate your input. I guess I should just not worry and have a home-brew.

You'll be fine. As other said, with year old yeast it's likely may of them aren't viable.
Even if they were fresh it's not totally overpitching, they'd still reproduce to form lots more than that.
And .002-.003 points off really isn't much - it's well within the margin of error, depending on a million factors going into you beer. 1 degree off on your mash temp could cause more variation than that, all other things being equal. If I end up under .005 off of expected, I'm thrilled it's that close and call it good.

You'll be fine. As other said, with year old yeast it's likely may of them aren't viable.
Even if they were fresh it's not totally overpitching, they'd still reproduce to form lots more than that.
And .002-.003 points off really isn't much - it's well within the margin of error, depending on a million factors going into you beer. 1 degree off on your mash temp could cause more variation than that, all other things being equal. If I end up under .005 off of expected, I'm thrilled it's that close and call it good.

I would guess the OP found out if the yeast was viable by now.... October 27, 2016

I always wonder why people risk the whole process and effort for a $4 pack of yeast :-/

Pretty simple in this almost 3 year old post.... The OP had old yeast and pitched two packs. The yeast was not old enough, IMO, to warrant not using. On the safe side the OP pitched 2 packs. It is what I would have done. Though on a recent brew I pitched one pack of almost year old yeast. It was fine.

I will take some skin over that nasty looking "10 Worst Homebrewing Mistakes" picture that I see. Really Google...I don't make THAT many mistakes!!!

too bad! someone complained, and naked ladies are illegal here now! (deal with your mistakes)

edit: i see it too...i'd drink it! and have, lol!

Last edited:
Back