Too much Yeast Nutrient in starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANNERx0

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a while and decided to do it right the first time back and make a yeast starter. I bought a kit with of Fermaid K (DAP) and mistakenly poured the whole 1oz/28g bag into my 1L of starter.

Should I just start over, get more Yeast, and make a new starter or can I save the yeast somehow? Maybe just use less of the starter when I pitch? I haven't started brewing yet so maybe I should cut my loses now, but also not super keen on heading to the brew shop and spending another $10 for more yeast.

(I'm using Omega Yeast West Coat Ale 1 for an IPA if it makes any difference)

Dap tastes Like crap, if the starter takes off as normal, I would cold crash and decant the whole volume of liquid. Then I would make a second run with fresh wort, without any nutrient, and decant the liquid again, after cold crashing.

If you can and you have already lots of sediment at the bottom, just throw everything out that's in suspension and just do a second starter run with new wort without any additional nutrients.

Nutrients are in general not necessary for a starter. Malt contains everything that's needed for yeast propagation.

That way, you should get rid of the excessive dap in solution.

Last edited:
Back