Too much Yeast in the bottle/flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I bottle all my beers and I keep getting too much yeast at the bottom of my bottles, and try as I might to pour slowly and not dump the yeast plug into my glass, too much almost always ends up in there and the strong yeasty flavor overpowers the rest. Anything I can do, other than buying corny kegs? Would cold crashing help? (I've never done that.)
Thanks

I would first try racking not from the bottom of the fermentation bucket. If your somehow racking into a bottling bucket and suck up most or all of the yeast from the bottom, to include trub, it will be suspended in the beer until it has time to settle.

Keep about a 1/4 in off the top or 1/2 leaving that much beer is about half a 12 oz bottle. Try not to Disturb the beer when you move it from where ever to rack it. If you have no other choice but to move the primary I would let it sit for 30 mins or so. This will allow some of the trub and yeast to resettle. Try to be gentle with it when you do to not disturb the yeast cake.

if you dont do this and buy a keg you will still have issues with clarity but not as much.

I bottle all my beers and I keep getting too much yeast at the bottom of my bottles, and try as I might to pour slowly and not dump the yeast plug into my glass, too much almost always ends up in there and the strong yeasty flavor overpowers the rest. Anything I can do, other than buying corny kegs? Would cold crashing help? (I've never done that.)
Thanks

If you have the equipment to cold crash, do it. After ferment, I move my primary into the lagering chamber (35-36*F) for 5-7 days before racking to keg or bottling bucket.

1) It really helps to clear the beer. Some folks may ask you how you filter it. :D

2) It makes the yeast trub much more firm and a lot harder (although not impossible) to suck up into the auto-siphon.

3) It will significantly reduce the layer of yeast trub in the bottom of each bottle.

Buy a clip for your auto-siphon that holds it onto the side of the bucket and allows you to adjust the height. Start siphoning with it 1/2 to 2/3 into the bucket and slowly slide it down as the beer drains. If you've crashed, with most yeasts you can end up with the end of the auto-siphon resting on the bottom of the bucket and still pick up very little to no part of the cake.

Instead of putting your siphon to the bottom of the bucket start at the top and as you get towards the cake tilt the bucket towards you.

Its worth it to leave up to a half gallon in primary to sacrifice the sediment in bottles IMO.

Thanks guys. I feel dumb, I've actually been pushing my siphon down into the cake 3-4 times during racking. My thought was to make sure I get enough yeast in there to fully carb in a decent amount of time.... Dumb.

To those that cold crash, how long on average until your beer is nice and carbed?

Thanks guys. I feel dumb, I've actually been pushing my siphon down into the cake 3-4 times during racking. My thought was to make sure I get enough yeast in there to fully carb in a decent amount of time.... Dumb.

To those that cold crash, how long on average until your beer is nice and carbed?

3 weeks at 70*F just like always.

+1 to everyones advice so far.

There's really no need to worry about getting enough yeast transferred to carbonate your brews. There will still be plenty in suspension to get the job done.

People get a little to agressive trying to get beer out of primary, I would rather have clear/delicious beer.

I keep my beer at 40, bottle condition, and the yeast sticks to the bottom of the bottles fairly well if you pour gently. I may lose 1/2 oz per bottle, but I don't have keg equipment (yet).

Back