Too much wort post boil - Add dextrose to bump OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I am having a hell of a time figuring out my boil off rate. I am making a 1 gallon batch but I ended up with closer to 1.5 gallons after my boil.

My OG was supposed to be 1.048 but I ended up at 1.032. According to Brewer's Friend, if I add 5 oz of corn sugar (dextrose) it will get my OG to 1.043, which is much closer to where it needs to be.

Would this be a good idea?

At this point I am leaning towards just letting it roll. The mash started at 152 and finished around 148 so it should be a pretty fermentable wort, it will probably end up in the 3.5% range. Considering it is only a one gallon batch I would rather have a 12 pack of low ABV beer than thin dry nasty beer.

I would just let it ride. Adding straight sugar like that will dry out a beer during fermentation and you're already at the lower end of the mash range so it's going to be a little dry to begin with. Better to have a good flavored session beer than a less favorable one just to achieve higher ABV.

I would just let it ride. Adding straight sugar like that will dry out a beer during fermentation and you're already at the lower end of the mash range so it's going to be a little dry to begin with. Better to have a good flavored session beer than a less favorable one just to achieve higher ABV.

Yeah this is the route I went. I would have tossed in a 1/2lb of light DME if I had some on hand but all I had was corn sugar. Didn't want to risk making this beer thin and dry with straight sugar. Yeast is pitched and it's sitting at 65°F, all I can hope for is that it comes out tasting good. I can deal with a low alcohol beer as long as it tastes good.

You could also boil it longer to get to the volume you want, of course it might mess with your hops addition. This will increase your OG as well.

You could also boil it longer to get to the volume you want, of course it might mess with your hops addition. This will increase your OG as well.

I considered this. But I would probably have had to boil it for another half hour or more to boil off the extra half gallon, I figured it would make the beer overly bitter so I opted not to.

Latest posts

Back