Too much sucrose for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Too many cooks...

I had a friend help me with the priming since it ran a little longer than I anticipated and I had to duck out. I told him how much sugar I added to the bottling and headed out while it was still boiling. It cooled by the time I got back and the dishwasher finished sterilizing the bottles. He was kind enough to transfer from my primary to the bottling bucket but didn't add the priming sugar mix. I poured it on top slowly against the side of the container to prevent bubbles and then went to filling bottles. You can probably already guess where this is going...

I tasted it. It was so damned sweet. Way sweeter than I'd planned. I hadn't tasted it before so I just assumed that's because I used honey in the fermentation stage(my first time working with orange blossom honey). He thought I told him how much sugar to add. So now I have a bottled beer that's got ~1cup of sugar for a little less than 3 gallons of beer. I tested the SG with the sugar added and it sat at about 1.01 which is down from 1.08 when I put it in the primary.

What's my best option here? It's already bottled and I'm sitting a little less than 12 hours in right now with no visible evidence of carbonation.

I used table sugar as the priming sugar.
The yeast in the batch was the Wyeast 3711.
The beer sat in the fermenter for 4 weeks.
The starting SG was about a 1.080 and now it's a 1.012 after the sugar check.
I lost about 1.5gallons in the bottling and transfer process.
Went down to a little under 3 gallons.
The calculations for sucrose(table sugar) was a little less than half a cup.
Twice that amount was added.
I opened a bottle at 12 hours and it had a carbonated pop but a very weak one.
I've since put the beers in a closet in a tub surrounded by pillows at RT.
The plan was to bottle condition for about 2 weeks.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am pretty sure doubling the sugar gives you a good chance of having bottle bombs. Be careful. Not sure what you can do about it other than empty all the bottles back into a fermenter, let the sugar be eaten up by the yeast, and then re bottle with a proper prime. Someone more experienced can probably give a better idea.

First, if you dump all the bottles back into the fermentor, the beer will be oxidized.
Hold the bottles at room temperature. Slightly lift the edge of each cap to release CO2 every three days. Lay a quarter across the cap to avoid creasing it . Immediately recrimp the cap to avoid foaming in the bottle. Have sanitized bottle caps on hand in case you need to replace a few.

Saving grace, this was not a ten gallon batch bottled.

Just opened a bottle. At day 3 it's pretty much more carbonated than I'll ever need. Just lifted the bottle out of the box and popped the cap to see where it's at. It foamed for a solid 2 minutes...

It's still so damned sweet. It taste more like a mead than anything else. I'm gonna vent all the bottles later tonight as recommended by flars hopefully I can bottle condition them for the full two weeks and work some of that sugar out. Right now I'm sitting on about 30 bottles. If I can get 20 to go all the way I'll count it as successful.

If you bottled a beer with Wyeast 3711 and SG 1.012 you will most likely have bottle bombs.

I don't think beer is worth a visit to the ER. Well, maybe a whole lot of really good beer is... But I'd transfer back to the fermenter as gently as possible and let this ferment dry, then reprime and bottle. I have shards of glass embedded in wood moldings from bottle bombs, and I am really happy I wasn't holding a bottle about to lift the cap when this happened.

Back