Too much raspberry... mellow out over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisJPassarelli

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Berry Porter all bottled (about 2 weeks ago), but it's pretty heavy on the raspberry flavor. I used a 4 lb bag of frozen blueberries + blackberries + raspberries in secondary, and there's too much of a fruit-juicy acidity to the beer currently.

Is this one of the many flavors that might die down a bit over time, or is it pretty much here to stay? Anyone have experience with fruit flavor over time?

Fruit flavor usually mellows over time in beer (and wine for that matter). I'm guessing you will need to wait months to see any major change though. If it's a real porter then it should age nicely. I would try a bottle every couple months until it reaches a point where you like it.

Fruit flavor usually mellows over time in beer (and wine for that matter). I'm guessing you will need to wait months to see any major change though. If it's a real porter then it should age nicely. I would try a bottle every couple months until it reaches a point where you like it.

....then drink them all as fast as you can....:drunk:!

Thanks for the reassurance, folks! The base porter should definitely age well, and the antioxidant raspberries certainly won't hurt. I'll have to make a project out of it and track it properly. Even as is, it's still pretty enjoyable!

:mug:

Back