Too much priming sugar, possible solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So I haven't bottled in a while, but today I bottled the 2 halves of a split batch I did. I forgot they were split batches for a minute and accidentally added a full batch worth of priming sugar to each batch. Right after I finished capping I realized what is done, so I went through and loosened all the caps. My plan is to go back in a couple days and add a carb drop to each bottle and recap. Will that work, how many days should I wait for that sugar to be all chewed up, before adding carb drops?

Ya, that could work, but I'm not sure on the details.

Another thought might be to wait till your beer is sufficiently carbonated. Wait a couple days, cool one down and drink it and see if it's ok. If it's carbonated enough then pasteurize the rest. Your beer will be sweeter than expected this way, but hey, maybe it'll be good that way? You can check out the cider forums for exactly how to do it if your interested, but essentially submerge the bottles in hot water for a while.

Ya, that could work, but I'm not sure on the details.

Another thought might be to wait till your beer is sufficiently carbonated. Wait a couple days, cool one down and drink it and see if it's ok. If it's carbonated enough then pasteurize the rest. Your beer will be sweeter than expected this way, but hey, maybe it'll be good that way? You can check out the cider forums for exactly how to do it if your interested, but essentially submerge the bottles in hot water for a while.
Basically, I was making a raunchier with two different kinds of smoked malt. I added 4 oz of priming sugar to each batch instead of the 2-2.5 I was planning. I just have the caps sitting secured but loosened enough to allow the bottles to off gas. I'm just not sure how long to wait before adding adding sugar again. I like your idea, I think the sweetness would be nice with the smoke, but not sure it would help in the side by side tastings.

What co2 volume do you get with what you added ? Wonder if you could just leave caps loose for about 5 days or so then crimp em down.

I think it gets me to around 4. I was going for something closer to 2.5

Whoa , I've read where some people carb up to about 3.5 volumes but 4 seems high. I dont even know how much pressure these bottles are rated for . Maybe someone with more knowledge of how much pressure that will put the bottles under will post . I would think that allowing some of the pressure to release like your doing it the safest bet .

I'd just keep the tops not sealed all the way for a handful of days then seal all the way. Maybe that will allow some of the pressure to be released .

I'd just keep the tops not sealed all the way for a handful of days then seal all the way. Maybe that will allow some of the pressure to be released .
I'm just hoping if I recap today or tomorrow that too much CO2 hasn't already escaped, but I also dont want to do it too soon.

You could pour one onto a soda bottle and if it starts getting really hard , crack the tops again then re cap .

I dont think I've ever had a with those, but I've had some major gushers. I think that's my bigger concern, that there wont be any drinkable bottles, because all the beer will end up all over the place.

With any of these ideas, it will be a guess how much pressure you end up with. Please handle any suspect bottles as if they will explode, because they might. I've never been nearby when a bottle exploded, but I've seen the remains - I'm glad I wasn't around when they exploded. It's a much bigger concern than loss of beer.

With any of these ideas, it will be a guess how much pressure you end up with. Please handle any suspect bottles as if they will explode, because they might. I've never been nearby when a bottle exploded, but I've seen the remains - I'm glad I wasn't around when they exploded. It's a much bigger concern than loss of beer.
They're in the keezer right now. I just recapped them at lunch. Looks like most of the referment was done, so we'll see. I'm gonna give them a couple days then cold crash, and see what I get.

Last edited:
Back