Too much nutmeg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spagnot

Reaction score
I did an apple pie cyser recipe the beginning of October and just bottled it this weekend. I used 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg for a 1 gallon batch. The batch turned out very sweet but it's a little harsh with the spices. If I am correct I used too much nutmeg and or other spices such as whole cinnamon sticks.
Is there anything I can do to mellow out the spices in this batch? Maybe age it a long time? Next time I will try just a quarter teaspoon or an eighth if I make it again.

Last edited:
I've found ground spices to be a mistake in beer brewing. Cinnamon and nutmeg at least take very long time to settle out if ever, and tend to taste harsh. Not sure if it can be fixed besides waiting. Gelatin perhaps?

I agree with masonjax, powdered spices are a bad idea when it comes to brewing. The powdered nutmeg will continue to release flavor into your mead until there is none left. It will likely get considerably stronger. You may be able to age it out, but I think without filtration, it's going to be strongly flavored for a long, long time.

Ken Schramm did something similar once, that he relates in his book The Compleat Meadmaker. His nutmeg mead did eventually mellow with age, but it took a long time. I can't remember if he filtered or not.
You might try filtering when you rack, use a nylon strainer. That should get most of the nutmeg out. Might take more time aging than you originally thought, but it still might turn out to be good.
Regards, GF.

Back