Too much head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffj502

Reaction score
This is my second brew and I borrowed what I thought was a 6 gallon carboy but maybe it's bigger??

I'm afraid there is too much head space. Should I rack it to a smaller carboy? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391667659.780322.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Once it goes, Co2 will protect it. I used to always brew 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. It keeps the krausen from blowing out and losing beer.

Now I ferment 5/6 gallon batches in a 1/4 keg (almost 8 gallons)

I've got a 6 gallon BB,& 5 gallons comes up just to the bottom of the curve. So that's either 6.5G &/or you have less then 5 gallons in it...

What about a 2 or 3 gallon batch in a 5 1/2 G bucket? I'm under the impression that once it starts fermenting the CO2 will keep in contained... I think that the airlock probably wouldn't be going nuts though until it pushes the excess oxygen out though right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you are just doing primary it there I would not worry. As has been said co2 will fill the space. I would not secondary that volume of beer in it.

Get a marker or vinyl markers and measure out a gallon, mark it, another gallon, mark etc. Then you will know 1) how big it is. 2) how much you have in it.

If you are just doing primary it there I would not worry. As has been said co2 will fill the space. I would not secondary that volume of beer in it.

This^. I do 2.5-3 gallon batches in 6 gallon better bottles all the time. Just use an airlock and don't open the fermenter and lose the CO2 filling.

What about a 2 or 3 gallon batch in a 5 1/2 G bucket? I'm under the impression that once it starts fermenting the CO2 will keep in contained... I think that the airlock probably wouldn't be going nuts though until it pushes the excess oxygen out though right?

Yep that would be fine. But no, there shouldn't be any difference in airlock activity. The headspace is full of gas (air) no matter how big it is. So any addition of CO2 from the yeast will increase the pressure in the system and start to push gas out through the airlock.

Primary with good fermentation will be good.
I did a secondary with too much headspace, The everchanging surface of the beer made me crazy with the what if's. Won't do that again. worked out just fine.

Back