Too much head space - Co2 addition adequate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDiedDancing

Reaction score
Hello,
First off, I would like to say that I have been visiting this forum for at least 1.5 years and it has been infinitely helpful to me. In addition, this is my first post, mainly because whenever I have a question I use the search function and the answer is always there.

Unfortunately, I am struggling to find a consensus on my issue and would very much appreciate input from brewers more experienced than myself. My apologies if the answer has been posted and I missed it.

I recently brewed a KBS clone which so far has turned out excellent. I made a mistake of not taking into consideration the amount of trub at the bottom of the primary fermentor, resulting in approximately 1 to 1.5 gallons of head space in the "secondary." *I racked this beer into a secondary only because I wanted to age it on oak cubes for 8 months. Otherwise I would have bottled.

Seeing the amount of head space was concerning to me, and I did not have a smaller vessel available (it's currently in a 5 gallon carboy). Consequently, I attempted to fill this head space with 2 PSI of Co2 for 1 minute, hoping it would provide some protection.

My question is; am I better off leaving the beer where it is, hoping this Co2 addition will protect it from oxidation, or should I order a smaller carboy and carefully rack it- potentially risking oxidation?

A sincere thank you in advance to anyone responding with input. It is greatly appreciated.

If your beer is still fermenting and the fermenter is closed off to the outside environment, via an airlock, then the head space will be CO2, no oxidation. Also there are very few things that can survive in a CO2 environment. I think the biggest problem people have is not enough head space, resulting in blow off.

Thank you for your reply.
I racked over to secondary after the hydrometer's readings were consistent over a few days period. This makes me think there may not be sufficient Co2 present for protection for an extended aging period (8 months), even with my addition of Co2 into the headspace.

I wonder if I am better off quickly buying a smaller carboy, racking again, and risking oxidation during the transfer, or if there will be enough Co2 present after my addition to protect the beer for long term aging.

Thank you again-

I think your over thinking it, CO2 is heavier than normal atmosphere, so, if you do not disturb the internal environment of the carboy, the CO2 blanket should still be there.
I think anytime you have introduced foreign things, such as wood chips, you may be asking for trouble, if you sterilized them, maybe not.
Not seeing what you see, I can't really advise you.
If your internal environment is sound, reasonably sterile, with the CO2 layer or blanket on top of the beer, you should be good. :)

Back