Too much extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DArsenault

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking to brew up the Black IPA extract kit from morebeer. I looked at the ingredients and it comes with 1 pound of DME and 9 pounds of LME for a 5 gallon batch. To me this seems a little high, I thought the ratio for fuller bodied beer was supposed to be around 1.5 pounds per gallon, where as this recipe is 2 pounds of extract per gallon. Does this seem like it wil be alright? I'm sure since its a kit that people have had good results with it should be fine. Just thought I should get some opinions so I don't ruin a batch.

Hi, I was looking to brew up the Black IPA extract kit from morebeer. I looked at the ingredients and it comes with 1 pound of DME and 9 pounds of LME for a 5 gallon batch. To me this seems a little high, I thought the ratio for fuller bodied beer was supposed to be around 1.5 pounds per gallon, where as this recipe is 2 pounds of extract per gallon. Does this seem like it wil be alright? I'm sure since its a kit that people have had good results with it should be fine. Just thought I should get some opinions so I don't ruin a batch.

"Fuller bodied beer" isn't really due to the amount of fermentables. A higher alcohol beer will have more fermentables than a lower alcohol beer, though.

An IPA typically has a pretty high OG. What is the projected OG for this beer?

Well, according to a calculator based on DME being 45 ppg and LME being 37 ppg this should have an O.G. of 1.076. (And will be about 7.14% ABV if attenuation is 72%).

It's high. But not unacceptably high. I'd drink it.

Latest posts

Back