Too much corn sugar for the batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmebrewing

Reaction score
Ok so I put together a real nice session ale, 5 gallon batch. When I dry hopped I lost about a gallon to the whole leaf hops from the absorption. I prepped my sugar for bottling, but measured out 5 gallons not 4. After a week or so I popped a bottle (22 oz) to see what was going on and found some decent carbonation forming however the flavor was a lot sweeter.

My question is will this cause bottle bombs or just the aft mention change in flavor?

I've read the stories of the explosions, but that usually due to way more prime than needed. I only put about an extra oz.

*sidenote, the ale was actually very pleasant
:rockin:

You will be fine. Bottle bombs are usually from excessive over-priming or not waiting until primary fermentation has completed. It just may take a little more time for the bottles to stabilize. I always use 5 oz for 5 gallon batches. 2-3 weeks is ideal in my environment for my 22ozs to prime up properly.

3/4 cup priming sugar per 5 gallon batch. It takes a full three weeks for the beers to completely carbonate up. I've been brewing since 1991 (off and on) and the only time I came close to a bottle bomb was when I couldn't remember if i'd added priming sugar to a Belgian Strong ale. I was buzzed because the still beer was so delicious that I had a few glasses. I doubled the dose of the priming sugar and capped up the beers. The bottles didn't exactly bottle bomb on me but each and every beer was a six foot high gusher. Two cases worth rocketed up and out of the bottle like a mentos pepsi.

That was the last time I drank beer while I was actually brewing/bottling. Now, I save the beer drinking for after the job is done.

What was the OG and FG of your ale? How many ounces of priming sugar did you use for the four gallons?

Latest posts

Back