Too much beer in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I did a 1.5 gallon batch correctly (for the first time) calculating the volume with my .25 gallon trub. Going into my 2 gallon fermenter the beer was close to the top and when I checked on it this morning beer had been pushed up through the airlock and all over the lid. I replaced the lid with a new one and a blow off tube. I put the tube into a glass of vodka and put both in a brew kettle while I went to work. When I came home the whole bottom of the kettle is filled with beer. I'm replacing the glass of vodka with a gallon jug filled with star San solution. Should I just keep changing the solution until this beer is done?

I did a 1.5 gallon batch correctly (for the first time) calculating the volume with my .25 gallon trub. Going into my 2 gallon fermenter the beer was close to the top and when I checked on it this morning beer had been pushed up through the airlock and all over the lid. I replaced the lid with a new one and a blow off tube. I put the tube into a glass of vodka and put both in a brew kettle while I went to work. When I came home the whole bottom of the kettle is filled with beer. I'm replacing the glass of vodka with a gallon jug filled with star San solution. Should I just keep changing the solution until this beer is done?
Nah, just leave it until the primary phase dies down. Which will be in another 2 days or so.

Then when the krausen falls back down, take out the blow off tube and replace it with a clean airlock.

Itll still be good. Ask me how I know :)

niF2jlY.jpg

no sense in changing the water out over and over again. Just leave it alone. I never really use airlocks as I just keep the blowoff tune attached for the whole primary stage. I hate cleaning so I'd rather just clean it all one time and be done with it.
get one of those $3 buckets from Lowes or Home depot and use starsan in there instead of vodka and you'll be just fine.

Back