Too long on stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
I neglected to put my 3L starter in the fridge on friday. It was on the stir plate for 24 hrs. Now it's Monday and I get home and see it still spinning away. Room temp is about 65F. In the fridge now crashing.
Does anyone think there would have been any significant loss sitting out that long?
I am inclined to just go with it.
Thanks

Interesting. Basically, you're now in the "Gonna Do It - For SCIENCE!" realm :ban:
If it doesn't smell rank, I'd be inclined to go with it as well, but definitely want to crash that starter hard because you can bet the spent wort is good and truly oxidized AF...

Cheers!

Does anyone think there would have been any significant loss sitting out that long?
Nah! If anything, you grew more cells.
I often run starters for 3-5 days, 7 days at times to get most growth, especially with older slurries.
But I always cold crash and decant, unless it's a same-day vitality starter to wake up a recent slurry.

Back