Too long in the primary or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrin

Reaction score
First off, let me say that the HBT community rocks. So much good information here!

Okay now to my question and I fully admit this is probably a newbie neurotic question. I have a goofy travel schedule. I'm gone about 50% of the time - sometimes for 2 weeks or so. What this means is that often I have to leave my beer/wort in the primary or secondary for prolonged periods of time. For example, my second brew (a wheat and rye saison with WP 3711) will sit in the primary for 4-5 weeks before I get a chance to bottle. I don't plan on racking to a secondary because clarity is not something I'm shooting for on that brew.

So I guess my question is - are extended stays in primaries or secondaries an issue? The place I have my fermentation setup is pitch black and super stable at whatever temperature I choose (first floor, interior closet, radiant heat).

Edit: I live 9,000 feet up in the rockies so yes, I already have my heat going. Ha! Looking forward to trying lagers in my garage this winter.

Thanks!

Mrin

No, don't worry about it. homebrewers have recently realized that at homebrew pressure/depth levels, the commercial issue of yeast autolysis (caused by a deep tank / high pressure) is not an issue.

I just left a 10%er in primary for three months before I racked it to a new carboy to cold crash, and that solely to reduce bottle sediment. If I were kegging this batch, it would have gone straight into the keg from 3-month primary. I don't transfer to a secondary anymore unless I need to free up a container, or clarify extra-well.

Last edited:
As stated above, usually not an issue. I generally do not secondary much unless I lager for extended periods. I brewed many Belgian Strong's where they sat in primary on the same yeast for over two months or longer without any issues. I got away from the practice of using a secondary mostly to decrease any potential for infection and oxidation. Became a much simpler process for me to not to have to rack it over and over again. I've heard some people also refer to it as batch conditioning. You should be fine either way.

the 'loaf

Again - admittedly a newbie here. I have done or doing 3 brews so far:

- extract kit porter
- partial mash rye saison
- BM's Centennial Blonde

I've only tasted the porter and the rye saison during at bottling or FG checks. The rye saison just now... But I have to say, they're some of the best beers I can recall tasting. Obviously, there is a "did it myself" aspect here but wow, color me impressed. I can't wait to taste these after sitting in a bottle for a while, chilled and carbonated!

No real question here - just more sharing my newbie-ish excitement at realizing that my finished product not only will match but might surpass what I'd normally shell out for a top quality beer at the local store. I had prepared myself that my initial brews would turn out marginal at best.

So freaking hooked on this hobby....

Back