Too late to oxygenate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greytop

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast 12 hours ago and just realized I forgot to shake the bucket before putting in the ferm chamber. Should I leave it alone or pull it out and shake it up? Thanks

Not to late to aerate if the yeast is still in the lag phase where oxygen is being used to build the cell count. If active fermentation is going then I'm not sure. Need a reply from more experienced brewers

You may not need to if you pitched dry yeast and the OG is about 1.060 or lower.

It's an APA. I pitched dry US-05. and the OG was 1.052. It's at 62 F and the lock hasn't started bubbling yet.

If you're showing a sluggish takeoff you can certainly aerate the wort. Just make sure to maintain sanitary conditions while you do so and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't shake it. This time of year, I can't keep my buckets in the basement as it's too cold. I have to keep my buckets in my living room to keep the temp closer to 68-70. I would try and move yours to a warmer location.

I'm pretty sure that aeration isn't necessary for dry yeast. In fact, Nottingham specifically says that there is no need to oxygenated the wort.

I'm pretty sure that aeration isn't necessary for dry yeast. In fact, Nottingham specifically says that there is no need to oxygenated the wort.

The manufacturer claims that there is a a high enough sterol level in the cells they produce and dry to make additional aeration/oxygenation during the first use batch unnecessary. I'm sure they have data to support this view but, as a microbiologist, I find that claim suspect. Those sterols are necessary for daughter cells to successfully bud, and if they're lacking the yeast can get stuck in the log phase.

If their airlock still isn't bubbling at this point (and their seals are good) aeration can only help.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I gave it a little shake up yesterday--nothing too vigorous. Left the lid on and rocked it around a bit. Also decided to keep it at 62 F. It took about 36 hours, but it's happily bubbling away now.

Back