Too Late to Make Flavor Adjustment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to try Omega's OYL-217, C2C American Farmhouse, in a 1gal recipe (BIAB, and used some grains/hops I had laying around/extra). Sofar it has been fermenting for over four weeks (going into fifth now), and still has not reached a final gravity. When tasting a gravity sample, it tastes pretty good, with the exception of the nearly overpowering alcohol flavor, over 10.5% now.

Is there a way I could adjust the flavoring at this point? I was thinking of maybe adding/racking to secondary with some fruit? Or should I leave as-is and bottle and age to see what I end up with?

Recipe I made:

2.75lb Pale 2-Row
8oz Crystal 15

0.25oz Newport @ 60min
0.25oz Newport @ 10min

Mash at 152° for 1hr.
1hr Boil.

OG 1.094
Current gravity: 1.013

There’s always something you can do to adjust flavor, for better or worst. I’d start by asking what don’t you like, ie boozy heat, or what you’d you’d like to add, ie fruity presence. Then you can go from there.

What’s your overall goal?

Also, 10.5% seems like you’re close, if not finished, especially after 4+ weeks. What was your OG?

If you rack onto fruit in secondary the sugars in the fruit will ferment and add more alcohol. i think I would just bottle this and call it a sipping beer.

Some fruit, like peaches, are mostly water, so the sugar will kick off another fermentation, but your overall ABV will be somewhat lower if you add fruit to a high ABV brew.
But as someone else already asked, what flavor are you looking for?
The high alcohol note will fade somewhat over time.

OG was 1.094

Flavor wise, I like what I have overall, just feel the boozyness is overpowering. I was thinking of trying something different with fruit, however didn't want to water it down, so I'm ruling that out now.

Dry hopping is also an option, which I have considered, just cannot decide on a hop to so with, or more Newport?

If the booziness does mellow out/dissipate after a while I may consider just bottle whenever it actually finishes.

Just putting this all together:

OG was 1.094 and you’re at 10.5% abv. That means your FG is 1.014ish with a 87% attenuation. I’d venture that under optimal circumstances fermentation is done.

If you’re primary concern is hot beer (booziness) notes, the booziness will fade over time. Bottle, store then try in 3 months and one a month afterwards if it’s still hot.

Lastly, a 10.5% beer is challenging so note your practices, replicate the process and duplicate the results.

There is boozy, which is warming and fine, and there is fusel, which is hot and not fine. Unfortunately, fusel does not go away with aging. Boozy may mellow with some aging.

Back