Too late to dig up a crown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I posted a while ago about one of my cascades not growing when the one 3 feet from it is going crazy, since then there hasn't been any growth, there was 2 shoots that grew a couple inches and then stopped, I'm suspecting some sort of root rot, because I had the same symptoms on a different plant last year.

So since all my plants are sending up tons of shoots does that mean that It's probably not a good idea to dig up this one that isn't growing?

If it's not growing, leaving it where it is won't help it. I'm not experienced with hops, but in general it would be better to dig it up, prune any bad looking roots, and give it a new home.

That's what I'm leaning towards, plus I could easily buy a replacement cascade plant from the nursery right down the street which happens to be selling them, although I'm skeptical of their source.

Well, in 45 plus years of gardening I have never seen an ailing plant recover miraculously, unless it was correcting a simple watering problem. Could be bugs, a localized soil issue, disease....just don't replant in the same spot. I'll be planting hops in the next year or two, so that should be educational

Back