Too late to add water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't. Full boil is the way to go in my opinion. I've done it and the result was passable but was kind of watery and just not as good as it could have been. Now in your case you're starting at 1.071 so you might have more room, but I still wouldn't do it. You have a good yield at 4.25 gallons.

The real question of adding water after fermentation has begun...I don't know about that.

Most people will let a 5 point difference or less slide, especially at higher gravities (>1.060).

It depends on the beer and the reason of the gravity overshoot. For example, if it's a hoppy beer, you will dilute the hoppiness a little. Same for other flavors. Is it higher because you boiled off too much or higher because you had better mash efficiency or added an extra pound of grain?

You can always add water or fermentables after fermentation has started. For example adding honey or sugar/caramel/candi syrup later retains more of their aroma and flavor. Also prevents the yeast from binging in the early stages. Just make sure what you add is either intrinsically sanitary (e.g., honey, concentrated sugar syrups) or pasteurized (held at 150-160F for x minutes).

Last edited:
If it were me, I would just leave it. But, if you add water, you'll need to boil it, and then chill it before you add it.

I disagree. No need to boil the water, it's the same thing as adding water after a partial boil extract batch.

I do think these numbers are within my "close enough" brewing tolerance, I probably would not bother adding the water just because it won't make much difference - adding maybe one extra beer?

Back