Too Hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan0186

Reaction score
So I re-read my instructions today after everything was said and done and noticed that I missed the part where it said to wait till the wort cooler to 78 degrees or below before adding the yeast. my temp was prob between 85-100 degree when I added the yeast. Will this affect the brew?

Ryan0186 said:
So I re-read my instructions today after everything was said and done and noticed that I missed the part where it said to wait till the wort cooler to 78 degrees or below before adding the yeast. my temp was prob between 85-100 degree when I added the yeast. Will this affect the brew?

Possibly- which strain did you pitch?

Not good but if you get the temperature down as quick as you can any damage could be minimal. Look at the recommended range for your yeast and strive toward the cooler end. For ale yeasts this is most often in the low to mid sixties.

If you don't already have a way to control the fermentation temperature do a search for "Swamp Cooler" and use one for at least the time that active fermentation lasts.

I used safale us-05 yeast that came with the kit. The primary is sitting in a swamp cooler currently at a temp of 62.5 degrees. Please don't tell me I have to start over again

I am thinking I am prob going to be fine because the wort was added to 2 gallons of cold water when poured in the primary and when I added the yeast I topped off the carboy with more cold water within 5 mins. The wort had to be close to 78....Keeping my fingers crossed.

What is important is the wort temp at the time you pitched yeast on it. If you had added the cold water prior to pitching and then got it down to 62.5*F as quickly as possible, that would have been much better.

Next time, try to develop the techniques needed to get your ale wort down into the low 60's prior to pitching.

Back