Too funky APA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
Just brewed this. Thoughts? 😆👽

5 gal
9 lb 2 row
1 lb caramel/crystal
1 lb vienna
14 oz flaked oats

1 oz Cascade @ 60
0.8 oz Amarillo @ 20
1 oz sweet orange zest @ 10
0.8 oz coriander @ 5
0.6 oz cascade @ 5
0.6 oz amarillo @ 5
1 oz cascade @ flamout
1 oz amarillo @ flamout

US-05 yeast

I'd drop the Amarillo at 20 unless you felt you needed a bit more bittering and instead dry hop with it and maybe add a little more Amarillo for the dry hop. Between the orange zest and coriander you should get a good amount of orange flavor and the dry hop should just add more aroma to that.

Looks tasty to me. Personally, I like my APA without a dry hop, so hopping looks good to me. Orange will go decently with those hops, but the spice is weird. That's witbier stuff, IMO. Leave it out.

Okay. I already brewed this though haha. I'll adjust the recipe next time!
But i put the coriander because i read that it gives orangy flavor, actually more then the zest. Is that just bullsh*t?

I'd drop the Amarillo at 20 unless you felt you needed a bit more bittering and instead dry hop with it and maybe add a little more Amarillo for the dry hop. Between the orange zest and coriander you should get a good amount of orange flavor and the dry hop should just add more aroma to that.

Yeah i thought about skipping it but according to brewmaster it was not that bitter with the 20 min hop

Yeah i thought about skipping it but according to brewmaster it was not that bitter with the 20 min hop

It's mostly a personal preference. I like a less bitter beer with more aroma. You may like more bitter with less aroma. You may even like the more bitter beer with even more aroma and will want to buy more hops for the dry hopping. It's your choice and one of the reasons I really enjoy making beer. I can make it just the way I like it.:mug:

It's mostly a personal preference. I like a less bitter beer with more aroma. You may like more bitter with less aroma. You may even like the more bitter beer with even more aroma and will want to buy more hops for the dry hopping. It's your choice and one of the reasons I really enjoy making beer. I can make it just the way I like it.:mug:

Well said, sir! Cheers!

Back