Too Dry IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabron99

"Torcedor"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been brewing for a couple of years and I've ,ade some good ones. To improve my brew I made a couple of fermentation chambers with temp controllers and I think that is where my problem lies. I made a few simple IPA's with late hop additions and put them in the cooler. After a week, they read out at .004 or in that neighborhood. I thought that would be great, but upon tasting, all the malt flavor is gone. Just hops & alcohol left. I will fix that in future brews by mashing higher and/or switching yeast, but I want to know how to save 15 gallons of well hopped IPA. Any thoughts or help will be appreciated. Sarcasm is probably deserved.

I should add, I was thinking of adding a heavier hop, such as Columbus. How about an infusion of something?

Id like to see your recipe, but with a FG of 1.004 id be a little concerned about wild yeast, unless you added a 20% refined sugar I think your FG should be in the 1.014-1.010 range. Your hops will not effect your final gravity.

11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM
Mashed at 149
wlp001

Hadn't thought about wild yeast. I do harvest and wash. Think I did this one on a yeast cake. I will mash higher next time and use a new 001. AFTER scouring everything! Thanks for your thoughts.

cabron99 said:
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM
Mashed at 149
wlp001

Hadn't thought about wild yeast. I do harvest and wash. Think I did this one on a yeast cake. I will mash higher next time and use a new 001. AFTER scouring everything! Thanks for your thoughts.

x3 right? Because if this was the recipe for a 15 gallon batch I think I know what the problem was ;)

It may have been the mash temp. Next time try 152-154.

That's what I was going to suggest.

At 149*F you are creating a very fermentable wort. Higher mash temps will allow for more unfermentable sugars, and your yeast won't "dry out" your beer as much.

I learned this with my second all grain batch. I used my friends IPA recipe, and mashed at 152. He mashes at 160. His is quite malty tasting, and mine was much more dry.

Cheers,
Kurt

That's what I was going to suggest.

At 149*F you are creating a very fermentable wort. Higher mash temps will allow for more unfermentable sugars, and your yeast won't "dry out" your beer as much.

I learned this with my second all grain batch. I used my friends IPA recipe, and mashed at 152. He mashes at 160. His is quite malty tasting, and mine was much more dry.

Cheers,
Kurt

Agreed. 149˚ is really low for an IPA. Like the others said, 152˚-154˚ would be ideal. For example, I just bottled my Centennial IPA (Two-Hearted clone). I held the mash at 153˚, my OG was 1.060, and my FG after 3 weeks was 1.014. The finished product (to me) is a perfect balance of malty sweetness and delicious Centennial bitterness.

Yes 149 is a little low, but that should not result with a 1.004FG, maybe a 1.010 but not 1.004. Especially with your addition of Cara pils, you should not get any where near the FG you are at with just wlp001.

Probably check your thermometer too, make sure that it's not telling you 149 when it's actually 145

As for the beer you could try mixing that dry IPA with a malty one. After all, you get three chances

Checking thermometers, bought a floating thermometer, and will mash higher. Probably about 154 or so. Along with a new batch of 001. Still have 3 kegs of high alcohol IPA, though. Sure packs a wallop!
Thanks guys.

I agree with B2, that's a really low FG, especially with dextrine malt in there. Are you sure you're using dextrine, and not dextrose?

If your pitching on to a yeast cake from a previous batch, might be your over pitching and getting too much attenuation?

Latest posts

Back