Too dark for a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
Hello! The lager I made has color more like an amber European beer ( 16) than a lager. I have used irish moos and German Pilsner and German lager yeast. So I don’t understand that color. What do you think? Any similar problems to any of you?

Thank you

It CAN be oxidization, but I wouldn't assume that. Maybe someone gave you vienna instead? How does it taste? Did you use pils DME or all grain?

Last edited:
Recipe and process is important. If you did an extract kit they are normally darker.

I remember one of my first all grain brews . An irish red that was way darker then I wanted . Screwed up on my grain amounts . First thing that came to my mine when pouring it was Whoa Black Betty ! Lol

Just you know amber is a lager color, Vienna Lager, Czech Amber, Marzen, Dunkles Bock, International Amber Lager (usually a Mexican amber) are all styles that are amber lagers, just as there are dark lagers. But your issue is you tried to brew a pale lager but it is darker.

So as others have said, it could be oxidation or if you used extract, it can be darker...but one other question...are you saying it looks darker in the fermenter, or is it darker after bottling? Light beers will look darker in the fermentation vessel due to less light refraction (light shining through the liquid) and due to yeast in suspension. So if you are talking about in the fermenter, give it a few weeks and then take a sample and you will see that it is much lighter than what it looks in the jug.

Back