Too cold + no strong boil = missed OG, fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to brew my first quad today, and it was sleeting and 17*F outside. As a result, my boil never really got to a rolling point and really just barely bubbled. It was a 90 minute boil, and the temperature was about 208 - 212 (fluctuating) with my turkey fryer turned up to full blast.

As a result, I had way more wort left over than I should have (probably 30%) and my OG was about 30% off as well (it should have been 1.091 and was 1.070).

My main question now is if I should add some corn sugar after a few days of fermentation to up the gravity. I'm shooting for a sweeter quad, so I don't want to dry it out too much. Right now the sugars are about 12% of the grain bill.

Or do I just let it ride and take the lessons learned?

Thanks!

I think the lesson for next time is let it boil for longer until enough wort has evaporated - even if that means 150 minutes. I have read elsewhere and experienced it myself, that a slower cooler boil produces a maltier beer. If that is a flavour you want it works out well.

In terms of your current situation - let it ride, adding sugar may increase the end alcohol content but it will also increase the hangover the beer will you give you (I think).

Latest posts

Back