Too Cold for Yeast to get started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMZ

Reaction score
Hello all, quick question that I HOPE I know the answer to...Brew a 6 gallon batch yesterday and pitch yeast. I left it in my garage and wasn't aware that the temperature would drop as low as it did. Down to 40 degrees. I have almost no yeast activity this morning. So, I brought it inside at room temp of 68-70. Will the yeast start to wake up and do its thing? Or should I repitch more yeast? Thanks

I'm gonna give you advice I also need to listen to:

I'd give it the minimum 72 hours from after you moved it to let them wake up. I just pitched a rehydrated pack of Nottingham at 58f and have been patiently waiting for fermentation to start 24 hours later.... So we're in the same boat, and probably need to just rdwhahb...

Wait a few days and if you still see nothing I would repitch. It may have been that the cold temps killed the yeast.

Either way though I would wait a few days to see if the beasties wake up.

Thanks guys. I ha ve moved it inside and hope to have some good bubbling. Will repost in a few days to give you an update.

Back