Toning down Coffee Flavor..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Have a Porter finishing primary fermentation, ready for racking to secondary, where I'll add vodka-soaked vanilla beans. The issue is, this brew is currently DOMINATED by coffee flavor. It just tastes like room-temp coffee. No Porter/beer flavor at all. What can I do (if anything) to tone down the coffee in the secondary? Here's my recipe:

Steeping Grains-

8oz Dark Chocolate

8oz Caramel 90L

4oz Carapils

Boil -

6.6 lbs Porter LME

1lb Amber LME

Hops-

1oz Northern Brewer (after 10 mins of boils)

.5 oz Northern Brewer (15 minutes before flameout)

Coffee-

5.5 oz Medium Roast ground (5 minutes before flameout)

Yeast-

WYeast 1056 American Ale

Fermented around 64°

Any ideas or help, guys?

I'm afraid it's too late for my suggestion, but next time don't add coffee to the boil. Cold brew some (4-6oz) and add it at bottling/kegging time. That will help you avoid that unpleasant stale coffee flavor that you're getting now.

I'm afraid it's too late for my suggestion, but next time don't add coffee to the boil. Cold brew some (4-6oz) and add it at bottling/kegging time. That will help you avoid that unpleasant stale coffee flavor that you're getting now.

Bummer! I'll know for next time, I suppose...

I always add cold brew coffee to either primary or secondary (either works the same) and take notes on amount used so I can adjust it out next time for more or less coffee flavoring.

I always add cold brew coffee to either primary or secondary (either works the same) and take notes on amount used so I can adjust it out next time for more or less coffee flavoring.

What amounts have worked well for you in the past?

I always add cold brewed to bottling bucket. First time I did a little at a time to avoid "over" doing it. Now I have it worked out at 1 cup for 1.9 gallons. I'm using Kona Choc/Macadamia Coffee.
My advise is to go slow until you get the taste you want and of course TAKE NOTES. I have one now that I doubled the cocoa in the boil and man the chocolate comes strong in the aroma, but you still get that coffee taste. Will have to adjust the posted recipe.

Back