Toning Down Coffee Flavor..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Have a Porter finishing primary fermentation, ready for racking to secondary, where I'll add vodka-soaked vanilla beans. The issue is, this brew is currently DOMINATED by coffee flavor. It just tastes like room-temp coffee. No Porter/beer flavor at all. What can I do (if anything) to tone down the coffee in the secondary? Here's my recipe:

Steeping Grains-
8oz Dark Chocolate
8oz Caramel 90L
4oz Carapils

Boil -
6.6 lbs Porter LME
1lb Amber LME

Hops-
1oz Northern Brewer (after 10 mins of boils)
.5 oz Northern Brewer (15 minutes before flameout)

Coffee-
5.5 oz Medium Roast ground (5 minutes before flameout)

Yeast-
WYeast 1056 American Ale

Fermented around 64°

Any ideas or help, guys?

The same exact question is posted in general beer discussion.

Mods please combine.

You can blend the beer with another one. You may need to give more time to condition and round out its flavor.

Often people like to add coffee at bottling/kegging, or post fermentation so they can better determine the level of coffee they require.

5.5 oz in the boil is a lot of coffee. I added 2 oz once and thought it was way too much. The next time I added coffee I soaked three oz of whole bean light roast in port for a week, then added the beans/port to the already fermented beer for five days and it was much much better. But as for what you can do now, yeah, I'd probably blend it with another five gallon batch of Porter, then give it at least 6 months in the bottle before I'd even try it. Good luck!

5.5 oz in the boil is a lot of coffee. I added 2 oz once and thought it was way too much. The next time I added coffee I soaked three oz of whole bean light roast in port for a week, then added the beans/port to the already fermented beer for five days and it was much much better. But as for what you can do now, yeah, I'd probably blend it with another five gallon batch of Porter, then give it at least 6 months in the bottle before I'd even try it. Good luck!

What's frustrating is this was a Brewer's Best box kit. You would think a company like that would have a good idea of how much coffee should be in a 5-gallon recipe. Live and learn.

Back