Today's brew mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkw1000

Reaction score
As I am typing this out, I am brewing a German black lager (partial mash). I was suppose to put the grains in 1 gal if cold water and then hear to 160 then remove from heat and sit covered for 60 min. Well I made the number one mistake and walked away to get other brew things ready. Came back to discover it was up to 200 very quickly (propane burner). I removed immediately and brought back down to 160. I am proceeding as required, but if like to know what affect this is going to have on the beer. I would say it was exposed to the 200 temp (measured) for about 5-7 min is my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

depends on the grains and the amounts. Probably not a huge difference, perhaps lower OG.

Enzymes don't denature immediately, but you could have less activity from that mash. What was your OG compared to expected? If similar, you're fine. If not, maybe add more extract.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have the tools yet to take those measurements. It's on the list of things to get. This morning's report is that there is good Croisan at the top of the fermenter and the activity seems to be just fine. Hopefully all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back